Hinge pin replacement

Waynebaby

Hi All,

I've finally got around to buying a hinge pin to replace the worn item in the top hinge of my drivers door. I'm wondering what is the best way to approach the task of replacing it. I'm pretty sure the door will need to come off, but don't know if the pin can be driven out with the hinge still attached to the A-post or if it is easier to take the hinge off completely and try pressing it out off the car. Also I don't know if the pin has to go in (and therefore come out) in a particular direction. The pin has a splined end, but I'm not sure what that is for.

Any suggestions grateful received.

Thanks

Wayne

IMG_1432.JPG

Take the hinge off completely; it'll be much easier.

I'm assuming - (I have four of these for the Herald, not yet used!) that they drop in from the top and can only go so far into the hinge before the splined end bites and holds it in place, so have to be pushed upwards to take them out. Refitting is a case of pressing them in from the top until they're flush. I'll maybe go practice on an old hinge and report back later.

I'm just in the Process of changing these Hinge pins on My Sunbeam?

I managed to press two of them out using the vice with a suitably sized short bolt and spacer at the other end. One was a bit harder and needed drifting out and the 4th one wouldn't budge at all, even with the use of heat and a large hammer and drift it wouldn't budge, turns out it had snapped.

I ended up having to cut through the pin with a junior hacksaw, but the Sunbeam hinges are different to triumph ones with brass spacer washers in between each section which give just enough room for a junior hacksaw.

I've got the problem now of the pins having worn the hinge holes oval, so I need to have them drilled/machined to suit larger diameter pins?!!!

Unfortunately new hinges are not available for the Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger range😞  

Pressing out bottom hinge Pin.jpg

Drifting Drivers Top Hinge Pin.jpg

Pins Out.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Drifting Drivers Top Hinge Pin.jpg

That's made me feel so much better, that I'm not the only one who ends up with pics like that! If I'm doing that sort of thing I need about four hands to hold a big socket, a small socket, a drift, and turn the vice handle at the same time... 

Were those hinges used on any other model?

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's made me feel so much better, that I'm not the only one who ends up with pics like that! If I'm doing that sort of thing I need about four hands to hold a big socket, a small socket, a drift, and turn the vice handle at the same time... 

Were those hinges used on any other model?

Colin

I've no idea, still finding my feet with the Rootes group cars?

Gary

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, PeteH said:

If you have access to a lathe, they should not be that difficult to drill out oversize and turn bushes?. I find odd ends of brass etc on tool stalls at shows etc,

Pete.

Hello All

If you have a lathe (or a friend with one) I drilled the hinges o/s and made pins to suit

Roger

43 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

If you have a lathe (or a friend with one) I drilled the hinges o/s and made pins to suit

Roger

Yes another option, It`s just me, I like to see "bushed" hinges, it`s quite satisfying to produce a bearing in Non ferrous material, rather than the relativity crude, but obviously cost "effective" in O/E manufacturing steel on steel.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Yes another option, It`s just me, I like to see "bushed" hinges, it`s quite satisfying to produce a bearing in Non ferrous material, rather than the relativity crude, but obviously cost "effective" in O/E manufacturing steel on steel.

Pete

Ha Ha Pete are you expecting to be here in 30 years time? 

Roger

12 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Ha Ha Pete are you expecting to be here in 30 years time? 

Roger

No, Mind I`ll only be 105, But I hope the car is?. My Grandson, is already coveting it, he has actually done a little bit of the welding and is learning to fabricate panels, it is still a work in in progress but he comes and does  a bit when he is on leave.