Jump to content

Smart Screen on a Single Speed Wiper Motor


Darren Groves
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello Darren 

                        Just ignore the blue connection as it is not used 

I have one fitted but do not think it works on high speed (and why would you want it to?)

I think it is a good bit of kit had mine for at least 3 years.

Have you got the single wipe option on your car(mine is a Spitfire 1500) if so you can set the timer by using that.

You just give it a flick for one wipe then count how long you want the interval for or watch the rain on the screen and flick again(I think I have remembered that right!)

Roger

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Darren 

                        Just ignore the blue connection as it is not used 

I have one fitted but do not think it works on high speed (and why would you want it to?)

I think it is a good bit of kit had mine for at least 3 years.

Have you got the single wipe option on your car(mine is a Spitfire 1500) if so you can set the timer by using that.

You just give it a flick for one wipe then count how long you want the interval for or watch the rain on the screen and flick again(I think I have remembered that right!)

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply but not sure it's that simple....the only connections on a switch on a single speed wiper set-up is a wire from the motor and then a wire to earth on the other side of the switch, all the switch does is provide the earth. There is no live to the switch as per the 2 speed motor and on a single speed one what would go to the 'SW' terminal on the Smart Screen?

The Club Shop get these units from the MGOC, they say it can be done but don't know how and the guy that makes them does it in his spare time and doesn't reply to emails or answer his telephone....

Cheers
Darren

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know the innards of the Smart Screen but it looks like a replica of the BDT system that I designed in the 1990s for a Dolomite. If so, it's not likely to work on a single-speed Herald motor unless they've given it sufficient thought to provide a link option, which doesn't look likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darren

I did reply to your FB post. If you have a look at the  Lucas 2 speed wiring and working ( see http://www.gomog.com/BLAIR/tech/electrical/wipers/2speed/2SpeedWiperMotor.html) I think you can reverse engineer it...
The standard herald single speed motor switch just connects to GND to make the motor run, when you switch it off the motor continues to run until the park switch goes O/C.

In the 2 speed things are more complicated basically when you switch off the connect the slow speed thru to the park switch that has 12v on it until the motor gets to the park position, at this point the park switch shorts the motor to GND, I think they do to stop the motor as quickly as possible.
I am not sure whats in the Smart Screen but it looks like it 'might' work if you connect the W and P terminals across your Herald switch slight assumption they are using a relay here wiper to W, poles to P and SW...
Can you bench test it power it up and check the continuity between W and P terminals?

Mike

PS just fitted 2 speed wipers to my Herald (from a GT6), used an Ardunio to power the motor and monitor the park switch, then programmed it to give a couple of intermittent speeds as well as normal and fast. Used a 2 pole 5 way rotary switch built in into original GT6 switch to control it. If anyone is interested I could post some more details....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

PS just fitted 2 speed wipers to my Herald (from a GT6), used an Ardunio to power the motor and monitor the park switch, then programmed it to give a couple of intermittent speeds as well as normal and fast. Used a 2 pole 5 way rotary switch built in into original GT6 switch to control it. If anyone is interested I could post some more details....

Yes please!

Regards

Adrian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/03/2019 at 17:16, mpbarrett said:

I am not sure whats in the Smart Screen but it looks like it 'might' work if you connect the W and P terminals across your Herald switch slight assumption they are using a relay here wiper to W, poles to P and SW...

Thanks for the replies Mike, but unfortunately this didn't work....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darren

Oh that's a shame... But looking at some of the links its looks like this device is trying to almost too clever... and I expect there are using FETs or other solid state switching rather than using a relay.

If you cant get hold of the seller what are you going to do? if you want I could have a play with it on the bench but it would be better to get the supplier to sort it out, particularly as there seems to be a few people trying to use it with a single speed wiper. Seems like a wasted marketing opportunity!

regards

mike

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone tried one of these?

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/programmable-intermittent-wiper-relay

Looks a bit like a rip-off of the Bosch units used in many late 90s/early 00s Audis and Saabs.  I did spend some time trying to get one to work with a single speed wiper motor and failed.  Not tried with a two speed....

Nick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you will get the Smart wiper switch to work with the single wiper motor. The problem is that the single speed switch connects the wiper motor to gnd to make it run the two speed is supplying 12v to make it run. I think the smart switch uses the 12v as a signal to then control the smart switch and then drives the motor directly.

So without a lot of rewiring of the single speed wiper you wont be able to get it to work. :(

mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...