correct carpet colour for vitesse 6

Bobtaylor

Hi,

I am a new member and have just bought a vitesse 6. It is wedgewood blue with midnight blue interior which is all original. The carpet has been changed from the original, is it possible to find out what the correct colour should be?

Also has anyone experience of fitting the moulded carpets from Newton Commercial?

I am sure this will be the first of many questions.

Regards

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Welcome!

There should be a plaque on you car with VIN number colour and interior trim numbers. Mine is on the side of the bulkhead, passenger side, directly behind the bonnet catch. Here is a document with colours and numbers. Wedgewood blue paint is number 26., midnight blue interior16.

Moulded carpets are easy to fit and Newton supply a lot of other retailers, so have a good reputation. Moulded are normally 100% artificial, If you want better quality, wool or wool mix, you have to go for loose. Also moulded tend to have a limited colour range. 

http://www.spitlist.info/Paint.html

Doug

Bob,

My trim colour includes door cards AND carpets. I would do a bit more research on the interweb, there were all sorts of special orders and it's unlikely Triumph would mark it as having midnight blue interior and not do it! I think a Heritage Certificate would also tell you the trim colour. Besides, grey and black are pretty dull, look at Pete's red leather, lovely! I understand he has matching trousers. :lol:  Also look at my avatar picture, the blue Vitesse in the front has dark blue interior, very nice. 

Doug

Hi, just for clarification the trim code is 16, which is midnight blue.

as the paint is wedge wood I guess grey is a good option, I was thinking of getting a blue carpet, but run the risk of 3 different blues which might not be so good!

my car is completely standard with no mods anywhere which is why I thought it is worth the effort to get a carpet as near to the original as possible.

i live in Suffolk so may take a drive to Newton’s to check the product and colour match.

Bob

Doug, The Vitesse 6 only had that one colour of carpet. It is a well known problem with this model of Vitesse particularly if you are looking for originality and or on the Conours circuit.

The Trim Code indicates the colour of the seats and the trim cards, not the carpets.

Dave

Vitesse Reg Sec  

• Thanks 1

I bought my poly gearbox tunnel from the club shop, when it arrived it had a Moss label on it, if I'd bought it from Moss they were £20 more.  :wacko: I guess Moss were selling them at trade to the Club but RRP to the regular punters. Same with Newton and the Club carpets.

Doug

20 minutes ago, Bobtaylor said:

are you suggesting I cut a hole in the gearbox tunnel?

They are. Some people find the need to remove the gearbox cover to top up the oil to be too onerous. Other people don't, perhaps because they love removing gearbox covers or perhaps, as with my GT6, because their gearbox doesn't use any oil so the top-up interval is a good number of years. I think the only times I've removed the gearbox cover in the last 25 years were to replace the clutch slave cylinder and to rebuild the gearlever bushing.

edit: Sorry, forgot one - I replaced the speedo cable, too.

yes  i should have been a bit clearer 

a hole in the tunnel down near the clutch pedal zone to line up with the gearbox level filler , make a removable patch to cover it , 

makes a check on gearbox oil easy without removing the tunnel or fighting thin fingers and spillage if trying from down under 

make it big enough to fit either a long socket or long fingers to refit the level plug  

Pete