Triumph vitesse 1600 PCV valve

haggis

Hi all, can anyone advise if a very late 1600 was fitted with a PCV valve? I currently have the manifold hole blanked off and a terrible aftermarket thing on the end of the tube from the rocker. 

It does seem to use some oil over short distances and thought this might not be helping the situation. 

Thanks

hag 

the orig partslist does not have a pcv shown for the 1600 on stroms .

there is just a hose from rocker to air box 

there should be a gauze inside the rocker cover to create a flame trap 

if thats missing i guess a external flame trap has been added , ( ie a thing with wire or plastic gauze inside which needs a wash out reguarly)

( flame trap used by manufacturers of the 70s   works like a davey lamp )

Pete

i ran with one of those for some years without problems,

best not to let any oil drip on the hot manifold , i turned my cover  round so vent was on the n/s 

as its not a sealed breather the live air comes in the crankcase tube and out the vented filler cap

with the ally cover thats no longer possible but breathe it must 

Pete 

• 3 weeks later...

So with Haggis' setup would it be possible to do as Pete did and reverse the alloy rocker cover but instead of venting to air you drop the pipe into the crank case tube.

Just thinking aloud as I have an alloy rocker cover for my Vitesse 6 and could easily plumb a fitting into the crank vent. Maybe a nice braided line or shiney tube.

Adrian

The different temperatures and the reciprocating movement taking placing within the crankcase result in different pressures being built up in the crankcase, hence two vent points.

It's a physics thing.

If you block off one of the vents then pressure will build up in the crankcase. Unless you go to the close circuit breathing system.

Dave

The engine MUST have a vent somewhere, and experience shows that venting to a vacuum (via a PCV valve or into the little tubes on the later SU equipped cars, or even into the airbox) is a good idea. You do not want ANY build up of pressure in the crankcase, it will push oil out of places it shouldn't (liek seals/gaskets etc)

On my spit, it was fine venting into a pair of catch tanks (one from the top cover, the other from the crankcase) up until the revs get high, then it all gets oily. Solved I think by putting the top breather into the airbox, though I would have preferred to use a PCV valve (but 4 throttle bodies make that difficult, but one day I may make a balance pipe to connect the 4 runners and that could be a suitable place to fit the valve.)

on the early 6 cyl  engines with a low level tubed crankcase vent there is à gauze  fitted between the breather tube and the block  this needs an occasional clean , if left it can block .

just two bolts and its off for a annual  check   (just rear of the fuel pump )

pete

I have an early Mk1 2L engine, not currently in use, which has a blanking plate over where I think the block breather tube would be fitted.

The engine had a PCV valve fitted so should be possible to fit one although what other changes to carb, i.e needles, or which rocker cap would be needed I do not know.

Regards

Paul

yes the blank off is used on the semi sealed +pcv  .

there will be a  rocker cover with semi vented cap , ie  the double cap with a simple flap valve inside , this cap vent is to stop any pressure build up when switched off . on alloy covers you get a pop rivet retainer  with a small hole through it  to bleed air 

jets as per the mk1 or mk2 wsm  spec.on strombergs  CD  CDS  CDSE.

pete

40 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

I have an early Mk1 2L engine, not currently in use, which has a blanking plate over where I think the block breather tube would be fitted.

Look after that one! It's a nice small bearing engine, pre HC5000 / KC5000 if it's a Vitesse or GT6. I made the mistake of trying to replace the cracked block on my Vitesse and ended up with a whole new engine because I didn't find a small bearing block.