Petrol smell in boot after filling up

iana

Filled up yesterday, been sorting out a few things this morning in the boot and theres a noticable petrol smell, Ive left the boot open to vent it.

Is there a breather pipe on a vitesse tank? I cant see reference to one in the catologue.

Ive had a look and the pipes look ok and dry (its on my list to change but it looks OK) - perhaps I just put too much in the tank.

Hi there is no vent in the vitesse tank . Possible areas for leaking are the fuel guage sender unit though more likely the hidden exit hose at the top of the tank. This is often forgotten and worth replacing  with Gates Barricade ethanol proof tubing . I chose to reroute the exit pipe so it’s easy to check plus added an inline filter and an on off switch .

The Club Shop sells the tubing 

Paul 

Thanks for the replies.

The rubber pipes looks relatively new rubber, they look new but they’re aren’t R9, I hadn’t realised they became semi permeable to vapour.

Ill move the replacement pipes up my list of jobs todo. 

I’ve found the source of the leak, it’s the fuel tap, so I’m guessing I may have overfilled the tank as I hadn’t noticed the smell before.

Does it matter which way the fuel tap is angled as it’s currently at 45 degrees which seems wrong

Is there anything I could put round the valve to stop the seep? Someone suggested a soap bar.

Daft question as I’ve never had a car with a reserve tank, can someone explain what happens inside the tank when the lever is rotated (puzzled as it was at 45 degree when I started looking)

the fuel tap  use that description lightly  is simple its a std pipe union with an olive left loose enough to allow the suction tube to rotate

it may be a rubber olive

if its too loose or degraded its a tank out to remove and refit a new olive

its not a tap its just a curved tube that rotates to give a lower pick up level.. very simple but the union can leak with a full tank

with a torch some painkillers and a slim spanner you may tighten it in situ   ive never tried .

pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pete, that now makes sense why it worked at a 45 degree angle, I’ll learn my lesson about over filling the tank, I filled it to the brim this time, I’ll stop next time when it clicks off and see if that makes a difference. 

I’m having to re-learn all the quirks of old cars again!

I would check the olive tightness out as fuel  slopps about  and pongs emitt easiliy from small leaks

New tanks do not have this love it hate it idea fitted  just the simple union 

Its a std sleeve nut and may only need a nip up ....well the solution is easy,   doing it ,, let us know

Pete 

Esso says 

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

I would check the olive tightness out as fuel  slopps about  and pongs emitt easiliy from small leaks

New tanks do not have this love it hate it idea fitted  just the simple union 

Its a std sleeve nut and may only need a nip up ....well the solution is easy,   doing it ,, let us know

Pete 

Pete

Thanks for your help.

Ive tried a temporary bodge for this weekend as we want to use the car. I have spent a couple of hours trying to find a detail showing how it all goes together for a proper fix - am I right in thinking its a captive threaded hole in the top of the tank, with a length of of curved pipe held in place with a brass nut?

47 is listed as nut and 48 is listed as seal.

The brass nut did move when I moved the lever to the correct position so it could be loose.I cant find any refernece to this in either the workshop manual or the haynes manual.

D483AA37-386C-4F98-85C7-83BBF209C36C.jpeg

This is the clever detail never covered

What the nut is made from could be brass or steel its a std, pipe sleeve nut as used on fuel and brake lines.

The tube should turn in the union not turn with the nut,  

So its pretty clear it just  loose,  just  needs nipping up  hand tight not gorrilla graunched .

Check also  the short hose these can be old and leak , and suck air when pumping and let fuel out when you stop

Pete

• Thanks 1

I have a similar issue with my Vitesse,i run an electric pump and it starting sounding like it wasn`t pulling any fuel,i found the pickup pipe flapping about through the brass nut,and i can withdraw it easily until it hits the bodywork.

I suppose the tank will have to come out.

Steve

Pete, thanks for the explanation of how the reserve tap works, Ive had a go at tightening the nut as suggested, it was very loose, I will check later to see if the smell has gone and again tomorrow (it was certainly less noticable after I'd tightened the nut)