Engine not happy cruising

Paul H

Hi my Vitesse Mk2 has an annoying issue.

acceleration is fine easy up to 4K if I want . Now cruising at 50 ish the engine becomes hesitant and “unhappy” . My uneducated guess is to retard timing.

Any ideas welcomed

Paul  

i echo that    sounds a tad lean 

stick to engine oil in the dashpots 

over advance can make it a bit pecky . , but if its been ok for ages dont change anything do check the points gap has not closed up 

small holes in diaphragms do develop over many thous  miles   that as a  last  idea.

if the diphragm has swelled  a wash in petrol returns it to new size .

Pete

Pete 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pete and Johny . I’ll richen the mixture by half a turn and report back next week. The current setup is new Delco with Accuspark , Huco pull fuel pump . I know the issues with the reliability of Accuspark so looking to have my Lucas 22d reconditioned with traditional points . Is this a DIY or it best to send away to a professional . One point is that the Delco seems to rev more freely with much higher range . Maybe it’s just me and my foot was more firm 

Paul 

why not try testing your mixture with the plunger on the side of each Stromberg. With the engine up to temperature I lift one with a finger and then release it after a second while listening to the engine response which shouldnt change. If the revs rise - too rich and fall - weak however its the immediate response your interested in as if you hold the plunger up too long the revs always tend to drop off.

Always thought the Lucas was supposed to be the better dizzy but maybe thats just down to its build quality....

Odd problems with accuspark are   begining to appear ,  im forming a view they are best  avoided   just based on the ramblings and 

Cars that arrive with misfires,  I guess many are fine.

Both delco  and lucas do a good job   both need an odd oil down inside to lube  the spindle bushes , delco are notorious for running dry and wearing the shaft   you  can rebuild lucas  but delco can be a  mend to destruction

Pete

My GT6 had a Sparkrite on it when my brother bought it. Had a switch to return to "normal" because it relied on the points anyway. I think I took it off because it gave problems but in any case, I fitted Lumenition because it's a worn Delco disi which was giving forty degrees of scatter as the shaft rattled around. The Lumenition optical thing isn't sensitive to that so it runs much nicer now. And that Lumenition unit has been on there twenty years and only given trouble once, when someone unplugged it and didn't push the connector back on fully.