Leaf Spring Refurbishment

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year everyone.

As an update to this conversation. My new spring from GB Springs finally turned up yesterday. I haven't seen it yet as I had it delivered direct to my fathers as that's where the car is. 

I know it's important not to go off topic on these threads but this is clearly linked, can anyone suggest a non bank breaking bush kit for the spring and stabilising arm?

It makes sense I replace these while the spring is off but some of the ones I've seen are crazy prices. Any suggestions, links to items and advice will as always be greatly appreciated.

SP

Thanks Pete, as I'm the most heavy duty pen pusher your ever going to come across and not mechanical in any way shape or form, I'm going to ask the question you didn't want me to.

Which of the items on the page for the rear will I need, all of them?

SP

Page three has the rear leaf spring eye bushes/ kit, bottom left, and one row above that to the right is the rectangular pad for inside the swing-spring mounting box.  

Stabilising arm I'm assuming that's what I call the rear radius arm, the kit is the one directly above the rectangular pad.

38 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Page three has the rear leaf spring eye bushes/ kit, bottom left, and one row above that to the right is the rectangular pad for inside the swing-spring mounting box.  

Stabilising arm I'm assuming that's what I call the rear radius arm, the kit is the one directly above the rectangular pad.

Thanks Colin. 

You see, this is team work in perfect harmony. I can just about operate a computer......

94624440_Screenshot2020-01-10at15_59_00.thumb.png.5faecbb7f1d93590318d743666ef99f2.png

And you guys are the absolute brains of the outfit.

Thanks for your help!

I'll get this ordered and plan for the swap out of the spring.

SP

Regarding bushes, the spring from GB will come with new bushes fitted to the eyes at either end. These will only come out with a struggle, so you may want to stick with the ones that it comes with - I left mine in (but changed all the other bushes that you propose doing) and three years on the GB fitted bushes are as good as new.

Removing the original bushes from the radius arms can also be problematic. The front bushes are especially hard to remove by mechanical means in my experience and over zealous use of the vice can make the eyes non circular (don't ask how I know!) I've found the easiest way to get the old rubber bushes out of the radius arms is to take them into the fresh air and burn them out with a blow torch. Stand up-wind because they'll produce horrible black smoke and then re-paint the arms before you fix in the Superflex bushes   

Wayne   .

Thanks Wayne. It did indeed come with its own bushes so I'll just order the pad and radius arm bushes which makes it a lot cheaper.

I appreciate the heads up with getting the bushes out too. I wont even try another way, just go straight for the burn. 

Cheers

SP

SP

I'm happy to pass on what I've learned from my mistakes! 

The original rubber bushes at the front end of the radius arms are made of two concentric steel cylinders with rubber bonded between the two - the whole assembly is an interference fit in the eye and was pressed in hydraulically. This means that when the rubber is burned away the larger steel cylinder will remain in the eye, and this has to be removed before the Superflex bushes can be fitted. If you are fortunate this can be drifted out with a stout screwdriver and a hammer. If this doesn't work, then the steel cylinder of the old bush needs to be cut with a hacksaw (be careful or you'll damage the eye -  once again, don't ask me how I know!) after which brute force and ignorance will free the remnants of the bush from the eye.

When re-painting the radius arms, don't paint the inside of the eyes. The new bushes will push in with the aid of a vice.

Wayne 

• 5 months later...

ok, at long last due to lockdown and medical issues on my part my cousin and I attempted to replace the rear spring for the new one I bought from GB SPRINGS.

We have a problem.

Keep in mind I'm stupid and not a mechanic. The plate that goes over the spring wont locate properly because there's a knuckle on the spring which would mean lopsided pressure on the spring plate.

IMG_2179.thumb.jpg.563add8aeee42c0a61f525bc39912a86.jpg

You'll see from the picture that we cant get enough thread through the nuts and even if we could, it still doesn't seem right.

This is the spring I was sold by GB SPRINGS, I made it clear it was a 1970 Mk3 and even gave the number plate so I'm confident they send me the correct one. He did say its a higher rated spring than the originals but should there be some fitting pack to allow for that knuckle in the middle that isn't there on the old spring?

I hope this meandering comment makes sense. I'm calling on the holy wise men of the TSSC community do dig me out of yet another hole this serious pen pusher has found himself in.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

SP

from your photo  thats a mk4 > swing spring  has a  (4 stud and box ) you are trying to fit in a fixed spring (6 stud ) diff with a 6 hole top plate 

it wont work

the clamp you see i reckon is just for transporting,  but what you have is all wrong

unless your car had a 4 stud swinger fitted  and things like shaft lengths come into question 

i guess your orig spring does not have the kink for the swinger box

Pete

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats a mk4 > swing spring  has a  (4 stud and box ) you are trying to fit in a fixed spring (6 stud ) diff with a 6 hole top plate 

it wont work

the clamp you see i reckon is just for transporting,  but what you have is all wrong

unless your car had a 4 stud swinger fitted  and things like shaft lengths come into question 

Pete

there are 6 studs and 6 nuts and six holes in the plate. We just didnt have them all in place when I took the pic.

Sorry for sounding lost here, have I basically been sold the incorrect spring?

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

Did you compare your new spring to the old one before fitting?

Yes, it does look different but GB Springs said it was higher rated so I assumed it wound, the knuckle is different, I may have to take it out again and take pics of both

1 minute ago, s99sdp said:

Yes, it does look different but GB Springs said it was higher rated so I assumed it wound, the knuckle is different, I may have to take it out again and take pics of both

I think you are correct with that. Beleive me, you don't want to try a fit the wrong spring... its hard enough with the right one. Pete had to talk me through how to do mine on my mkiv

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

from your photo  thats a mk4 > swing spring  has a  (4 stud and box ) you are trying to fit in a fixed spring (6 stud ) diff with a 6 hole top plate 

it wont work

Pete

I see what you mean now Pete, no the original one doesn't so it seems i've might have been sent the wrong spring