GT6 Anti Roll Bar replacement

The ARB bushes and links fitted to my Rotoflex GT6 Mk3 need replacing and I was wondering whether to also replace the bar itself.  On measuring my ARB I find that it is only 11/16" dia but the only new bars available all appear to be 7/8"dia.

Does anyone have any comment or advice regarding changing the ARB from 11/16" to 7/8" and would I need to change any chassis mounting brackets, please ?

Nick

Why replace the bar?  Is it distorted?     Take it off, lay it on a flat surface.   Does it lay with one end 'cocked up?     If not, it lies flat, it's fine.

What stiffness do you need?   It depends on your driving style.    If you feel oversteer - you need to unwind steering angle as you apex the corners - then you need a stiffer bar.    You are unlikely to get this on the road.

The 7/8th bar will be a bit stiffer, so might induce some understeer bu this is easily compensated for .

Why would you change the brackets?

John

• Thanks 1

the  brackets and their  bushes are sized to suit the bar  size  so yes you need to change them if fitting the later bar, drop links stay the same 

as Nick doesnt push to the limit any changes in bar  wont be noticeable   more important is the base geometry setting at front and rear are correct has more impact  on any under /over steer for normal driving 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Nick,

The 7/8" was fitted on the GT6 when they dropped rotoflex and went to swing spring, you've got 11/16" and rotoflex which is correct. Fitting 7/8" may adversely affect your handling so if it isn't bent stick with it.

Doug

• Thanks 1

11/16 are listed as NLA on all the websites I've checked - Rimmers, Canleys, Moss, Paddocks. Rimmers sell a kit to convert to 7/8 which includes the new size fixings. May be worth a call to see if Spitfire Graveyard has a good 11/16 ARB before going that route.

Gully

On 25/05/2019 at 16:49, Qu1ckn1ck said:

My ARB appears to be splayed out on one side.  On one side the drop link is near vertical from wishbone to arb, on the other side it is quite angled.

Are you sure the ARB doesn't simply need centring? I don't think there's anything to stop it moving side to side a little bit other than the U bolt clamping force through the bushes.

Cheers, Richard

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rlubikey said:

Are you sure the ARB doesn't simply need centring? I don't think there's anything to stop it moving side to side a little bit other than the U bolt clamping force through the bushes.

Cheers, Richard

You are probably right Richard.  It certainly appears to change position each time I take a look at it.  I guess I won't know whether it is reasonably straight until I take it off.

Nick

Nick, I know someone does a clamp for the ARB, but can't remember where I've seen it ... was it in the club shop for the TRs?

I always thought that the type of exhaust clamp shown in our cars parts catalogues - if it was also available in the right diameter - would be ideal for clamping ARBs to stop the side to side movement.

GEX7509.JPG

Anyone know what this style of clamp is called?

Cheers, Richard

• Thanks 1