engine earth lead location

There could be a few of these questions as I am determined to finish the Mk 2 2litre, and yes I did take lots of photos when I disassembled the car 3 years ago..but never of the bits I need. Can some one simply tell me where the engine earth-lead ( the 6 inch long braided copper bit) goes from where to where?

Also I distinctly recall but cannot find:, someone asked the re-assembly sequence of a Vitesse door and there were replies. That would be very useful right now.

Thanks in advance for the replies... and again there will be more questions.

Cheers

Chris

The earth lead can go anywhere that will conduct current back to the battery, remembering that the engine is mounted on rubber.     At 6", bridging the  front engine mounts?    But then the body is mounted on the chassis on rubber too, and the battery is earthed to the body shell.      I just take a length of starter cable, attatch it to the block - file the surfaces clean first, and grease with copperslip - and take the other end to the same point on the bulkhead where the battery is earthed.    Absolutely no doubt of a good engine earth!

John

I think there is a short braided cable bridging the RH engine mount on my Vitesse, which could be original. However, it's not the main engine earth strap. That is a much longer bit of heavy braid (starter cable sized, as John said) from the battery -ve connection on the body to the bolt above the starter motor on the engine back plate / clutch housing. In fact, it may even be a continuous earth cable from battery to body to engine.

If I remember on the Vitesse its bolted to the bottom section of the front engine plate and goes to one of the threads/nuts on the steering rack U clamps under the chassis. That's the original position.

I forgot to remove it once when lifting, attempting to, an engine out!

Dave

Hi,

Adding a cable from the battery -ve to starter motor body will be a plus.

With the engine running & everything on/running/illuminated, measure the voltage between the center of -ve battery terminal & alternator body. Measure between the center of +ve post & output of alternator at the source. 100mV or much less is good for the -ve.

With the engine off & everything on, volts between the center of -ve battery terminal & chassis/body will tell you what to bond.

Cheers,

Iain.

Door dress sequence  thats a call,   

Its follow the manual ,   from distant memory,   drop glass channels , ndvent frame, cross levers, lock remote, and remember theres a wire that joins the bottom of the glass channels so the glass doesnt spread them and pops out when you slam the door with the glass down

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Door dress sequence  thats a call,   

Its follow the manual ,   from distant memory,   drop glass channels , ndvent frame, cross levers, lock remote, and remember theres a wire that joins the bottom of the glass channels so the glass doesnt spread them and pops out when you slam the door with the glass down

Jump cut there, Pete!   Wrong thread?

J.