Wheel bearing spinning on stub axle

I am swapping out the old and gunked up front wheel bearings on my '77 2500S - the car's not seen the road in 10 years or so, so it seems like a good precaution.

The stub axles seem visually OK, with minor wear marks where the bearings sit but nothing too significant. However, the inner bearing cup (the one closest to the vertical link) is free to move slightly on the stub axle.

The bearings are the correct Timken ones supplied by Chris Witor.

Is any movement between the bearing cup and stub axle acceptable, or should this essentially be an interference fit? I have read contrasting things on various forums ranging from no, to some movement is fine, to yes it's necessary.

Just wanted to find out what people think before I shell out $$$ on new stub axles.

Last time I did wheel bearings was on my Spitfire about 10 years ago so I can't remember what the fit was like there.

The bearing fit on the  stub axle is a loose hand fit, it is designed to rotate on the stub to spread the impact point to be ever changing

the outer cups are a press fit the inners have to be a lesser non interference fit or you  also  would  not be able  to remove the hub without a puller

So yes its quite normal for the stub surface to show signs of bearing rotation as thats what it does.

On the contrary  it is not a rattlng good fit , just sized to allow fit and remove  by hand !!

Pete

On 07/06/2019 at 16:11, Pete Lewis said:

The bearing fit on the  stub axle is a loose hand fit, it is designed to rotate on the stub to spread the impact point to be ever changing

the outer cups are a press fit the inners have to be a lesser non interference fit or you  also  would  not be able  to remove the hub without a puller

So yes its quite normal for the stub surface to show signs of bearing rotation as thats what it does.

On the contrary  it is not a rattlng good fit , just sized to allow fit and remove  by hand !!

Pete

That's great - I'll take this answer as it saves me from doing anything else :) It's by no means rattling, I just noticed it was free to move which contradicted 50% of the advice I've read about this online.

The outer cups are definitely a press-fit on the hub.

Cheers all for your input!

Pete, I don't following that reasoning.   No shaft is perfect it has lows and highs, as will the ID of the bearing. The highs will engage, the same highs as the bearing rotates on the shaft, concentrating stress on the same points and wearing them.     The shaft will gradually get thinner and the bearing sleeve wider.      If the  bearing is  such a loose fit that the inner race can be hand-turned then it needs to be locked.  That's why I suggested the LockTite product.

John

Edited by JohnD
Bloody autocorrect!

Thats good,  I  wonder about the solid spacer  kits that are made,it defys the base design and ability to have a ever changing 

Load point

Happy days , just grease the bearings there is no point in filling the hub cavity in fact that just traps heat and it will never get to the bearing race so save grease  and  let the heat  escape

Pete

John all  I can add is from over 40 years in manufacuring and problem solving the rotation ofraces is a designed condition of limits and fits for  taper roller bearings and straight ball races at least in the  automotive use.

More modern Cassette bearings are fixed they are very different design and dont need to be removed for lets say  normal  servicing adjustments 

John look at the back of any triumph  or other  D washer and you  will see the light witness marks of rotation

If its a press or constrained fit how to remove the hub  and how would you know the inner is fully seated to  set the end float 

They should move...quite freely really   

On a front the outer ring rotates with the hub so ever changing load/impact position the inner if static would always take the load impact in the same place,  not good,  so its allowed to slowly rotate, its not worn the stubs for around 50 years ,,,, cant be bad 

Pete

I acknowledge your vastly greater experience, Pete, of automotive practice especially.

But I would refer to this, a document from NSK, the bearing manufacturers, on "Bearing fitting practice", and in particular, to this paragraph on the first page:

image.png.fea761dc1c472730be4d09d99f67d8ee.png

I would say that none of those conditions are fulfilled by an ordinary stub axle shaft, and a wheel bearing is not "large".

See: https://www.nsk.com/common/data/ctrgPdf/split/e728/NSK_CAT_E728g_3.pdf

Let's agree to differ.    I've locked mine, if Lessur will report  in a while on his axle shafts, we can compare!

John

My other thought about using Loctite or similar is that the bearing would be covered in grease on all surfaces after I've finished packing it - I'm not convinced I could clean the inner surface of the cup up (and keep it clean whilst sliding the bearing on to the hub) well enough for the product to work...

Just do what Triumph designed  it works ,  free to turn easy to remove     tight in the hub hand fit on the stub

No addatives centre pops or anything else ,,

if you are paranoid about bearing limits and fits then use a spacer and shims to make a solid fix with the correct end float i doubt many do  premium miles to prove the wear problems of wheel bearings of  this type.

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Just do what Triumph designed  it works ,  free to turn easy to remove     tight in the hub hand fit on the stub

No addatives centre pops or anything else ,,

if you are paranoid about bearing limits and fits then use a spacer and shims to make a solid fix with the correct end float i doubt many do  premium miles to prove the wear problems of wheel bearings of  this type.

Pete

That was my plan (as I've already done one wheel and am loath to go back and do it again) - I just wondered for those who do use Loctite, how they deal with the very greasy situation that most wheel bearings are prior to assembly. Would Loctite even grip properly in that environment?

loctite do make a specific one called bearing fit  ,,

i think all will say clean an dry before application, it goes solid when air is excluded  but how it response to a greasy condition needs them to answer and it depends alot on just what product you use there is a vast range of sticks everything in their catelogue

if you do want  to seal things   574 ive used following  trials on truck production joint faces  its remarkable stuff at leak free joints 

it would glue a bearing on , and much more , disassembly is less than easy

Pete

I echo what Robs said, on the assy line its a pressurised cup that squirts into the race and as far as the stub Goes wham bang thankyou 

Next ...

Mind you in the 60s it was probably a guy with a big drum of grease and a wooden spoon or spatular technology everybody on the track got some .  Spat !!!

After 50 years of going round and round its a bit late to worry now  Ha 

Pete

Pete