spitfire fuse box

rozentas

Hi all, just bought a Spitfire 1500 three weeks ago and have some gauges which don't work so I looked in the fuse box and.............. corrosion never seen so much................so I want to replace it like for like and bought one from Rimmers.  Prior to purchase I read this form and all the American forums and the gist was that its hard to get the fuse holders into the fuse box so I was prepared for that.  The Rimmers box came filled with the fuse holders already in situ and can I get them out................no I can't.  Is there a knack to puling the terminals out of the box before I solder the conductors into them?  I read an earlier post which said you have to do something with a "tang" God knows what that is............. but he's not sharing............can anyone help me get the terminals out of the fuse box?

Thanks for the feedback Doug looked at the old box and saw that the conductors were crimped onto the terminals did not realise they were spade connectors just assumed they would be the same type as the new Rimmers box, will see if I can pull them off the old box tomorrow.

I feel your pain, I am prepping my car for MOT this week (even though it doesn't need one!:-) and the horn isn't working and I checked fuse box and there were no cables going to it or from it!?

Found them all behind the glove box birds nest stylee with inline fuses,another job to add to the list!🙄😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2019 at 11:56, AidanT said:

Btw recently Qualified as a domestic electrician now!

Aidan 

Good man and well done; while we're on the subject: my immersion heater blows the entire row of trip switches everytime I turn it on, not just the one it's connected through although that would be bad enough. Want to call over and have a look?

On 15/07/2019 at 06:09, clive said:

Aidan, just done the same! 

Congrats Clive!

I'm planning a late career change!  Will be moving from the Midlands to the South West in the next 1 to 2 years. But still too far from you Colin 🙄

Aidan

Well done to you Aidan. Not as simple as many think....

My plan is to have it as another string etc. as I already do pat testing (only domestic/lettings, no commercial as too boring,) and lots of small property maintenance. I need to keep busy! Or so the lady wife says.

20 hours ago, AidanT said:

But still too far from you Colin 🙄

Aidan

Well I tried to keep it in-house, but that's the way it goes....

Local electrician came today, reckons the unit is on the way out as it's heating the wiring so much that the connector block melted and neutral / earth were making contact. The end switch blows for an earth fault; the other individual breakers go if it's a power surge.

New immersion heater planned for tomorrow. BTW he only charged me £20 to strip it all down and rebuild so he's good value.

And a little edit for today: the washing machine has started blowing the trip. Replaced the socket, 12" extension lead plug, 12" extension lead, washing machine plug and finally the washing machine itself, and the last cured it so far. Four hours later I'm knackered.

Edited by Colin Lindsay
today's update

Extension leads aren't a good solution! Each socket and plug makes more resistance in the circuit which makes more heat which in turn crates more resistance!!!  

Suggest you get your cheap electrician to wire up a spur to your washing machine with decent cable min size 2.5 / 1.5 

Aidan