Triumph GT6 MK3 complete rebuild

Mustard73

Hello,

My parents own a GT6 MK3 (1973) that has been sat in the driveway for 20 years and has deteriorated to the point of near death. I've decided that something must be done about this. I seek confirmation on the best plan of action to get started on the project.

The car has been sat practically motionless for 20 years. The first 8 years were spent outside and for the last 12 years it been in a garage kept under dry conditions. Most of the body work is rusted to the point of being unsalvageable, but I still hold out hope for the chassis. We managed to blow the tyres up briefly and wheel it outside during the summer so that I could take a few pictures (attached). 

So assuming that the whole chassis is NOT rusted through and unusable.. (does anyone with experience think that this could be the case?)

My plan of action would be:

• take the engine out and all body panels
  • rebuild the engine re-using as many parts as possible.. is rimmer brothers the best place to purchase all spare parts?
  • acid dip OR sand blast the chassis, then weld, then powder coat.. would anyone recommend acid dip/sand blast?
  • review transmission, make decision on whether to replace wholesale
  • suspension
  • steering alignment
  • complete re-wire of electric schematic
  • lights
  • bodywork/interior

I would certainly be looking to use the know-how of friends and your good selves to complete the above.

I realise there is a lot of work (and money) involved in the above, which is why I wanted to confirm this is the best way to go about this kind of project. 

All help is much appreciated. 

Thanks, Jack

20190324_125521.jpg

20190324_125645.jpg

gosh that will be a challenge. So much rust around the roof it is almost a convertible!
I think I would get underneath and have  a very good look at the chassis to get some idea of how bad it is. Pull up the carpets and have a good look at the floors, you want to get a good idea of what involved in restoring it.

Take lots of photos and post them on here. There are people who have restored GT'6's who will be able to tell you whats the best way forward.
Don't want to sound negative (and put you off) but unfortunately  the problem with rust in a Triumph is that is nearly always much worse than it looks from the outside.....

Anyway good luck!

Mike

Jack,   Having restored mine from the brink here are a few pointers: 

There are manuals available which are a must, read the relevant section before you start.  There is also a 'Guide to Restoration' the title of which eludes me for the moment.  These are available through the Club shop, along with some mechanical parts and as far as suppliers I found Canley Classics (good website with lots of extra info) and James Paddock my preferred people for most things, Fitchetts for panels.

Mechanical stuff is not the issue, just requires a bank balance plus a degree of skill which improves with time/skinned knuckles plus questions on here. 

Bodywork is the defining factor and yours looks to tick most of the boxes: bonnet, sills, screen frame but most particularly the roof.  Panels are available but there is more to it than that, not least alignment.

If it is made by a man it can be repaired by a man but you have to be realistic; however, if there is a emotional attachment then that overrides most things.  Whereabouts are you because I am sure your, assuming you are a member, local TSSC group would come and give it a closer look and provide advice. 

Dick

ps  and reinforce Mike's comment about taking photos before you start!

• Like 1

Not as bad as it looks.

the accident damage is a nuisance, not sure if Mk3 bonnets are available, may need to graft bulge into a new Spitfire bonnet.

Front of roof a tricky fix. Sills are easy, though panel quality is poor now a days. 

forget all the mechanicals to start with, the body is where the expense is. If you know the engine is broken, look for a good spare, 

report back on chassis. 

I dont advise powder coat if its lets water in corrosion under its skin is rapid 

just look at the death of many garden furniture thats powder coated

Stick to dinatrol or other wax types easy to repair recoat.

There are two early gt6 in my local group being re bourne from beyond the grave so youre not alone 

Pete

Jack,

I don't think that looks too bad, considering! Mine is also 73 and the same colour, it wasn't quite as bad as yours when I had it sorted, but 4 new wings, new door skins, new sills, new quadrants (don't get fibre glass!) My chassis was/is OK due to excessive underseal, so you may be lucky.  Even if you're contemplating welding body panels yourself the roof is tricky and I would get a pro to do it. It might be possible to pull out the dent in the bonnet, they can do some amazing things these day. 

I notice it has a servo so I'm guessing Is it a late Mk3, after February 73. So it will have a swing spring rear suspension and not rotoflex. Swing spring is just as good and easier to deal with. Bigger brakes and hydraulics on the back, difficult to find spares these days. Plus all sorts of minor differences from the earlier Mk3s, cloth seats, metric nuts and bolts :o

What interior colour does it have? :)  Mine's chestnut and difficult to source, if it's all shot you might consider moving to black. 

Good luck!

Doug

10 hours ago, thescrapman said:

the accident damage is a nuisance, not sure if Mk3 bonnets are available, may need to graft bulge into a new Spitfire bonnet.

Fitchett's list the Mk3 bonnet as available if the combination of accident damage and rust is too much.

One of the local group here who is restoring a GT6 arrives at every meeting with a list of questions and wanting to take photos of complete examples to remind him how to reassemble his puzzle, so will reiterate the need to take photos before disassembly.

You'll probably need to split chassis and body to complete the restoration - there's plenty of advice on here as to the best way to do that without creating a nightmare of panel gaps or a heavily compromised bodyshell folding up!

Gool luck!

Gully

On 16/09/2019 at 22:23, mpbarrett said:

Pull up the carpets and have a good look at the floors, you want to get a good idea of what involved in restoring it.

On 17/09/2019 at 07:04, Dick Twitchen said:

If it is made by a man it can be repaired by a man but you have to be realistic; however, if there is a emotional attachment then that overrides most things.  Whereabouts are you because I am sure your, assuming you are a member, local TSSC group would come and give it a closer look and provide advice. 

mpbarret,

I will as I want to assess the full extent of the welding. 

Dick, 

Thanks for the advice and where to find parts. I live near Oxford and am not currently a member of the local TSSC but will look into it. 

Noted the comments about the mechanical side. I will look to fully inspect the bodywork so that I can price up the cost of buying in new. 

On 17/09/2019 at 08:10, thescrapman said:

Will have a look into new bonnets. Thanks. 

On 17/09/2019 at 10:37, dougbgt6 said:

Even if you're contemplating welding body panels yourself the roof is tricky and I would get a pro to do it. It might be possible to pull out the dent in the bonnet, they can do some amazing things these day. 

What interior colour does it have? :)  Mine's chestnut and difficult to source, if it's all shot you might consider moving to black. 

Noted r.e. welding. Will assess the extent of welding panels into the roof, footwells rest of body and go to a professional for quote. 

The interior is navy blue seats and wooden dash but couldn't tell you more than that! I've attached a picture though so you can see. 

I guess it's just about how much of the car will end up being new.. which could be nearly all of it!

Thanks for your replies, will keep you posted with the car's progress.

Jack

VideoCapture_20190918-210948.jpg