Removing black waxoil

Chris Bracey

Its looks like black waxoil but seems to to have allowed rust to form under it, where that occurs it's easy to use a scraper to lift off. 

My conundrum is I thought waxoil stayed soft and stopped rust forming . Anyway I might use something called fortran that is meant to convert the rust . 

Sounds like underseal? Ziebart is just a type of underseal.

Even Waxoil dries and rust can form under it.

I have had success using a hot air paint stripper, with obvious precautions. On a stripped shell I used a blowlamp, outside as it keeps catching fire. But the electric heat gun is less aggressive.

A wire brush on a grinder shifts the stuff, but is very messy and you need full face protection and a leather jacket to protect you from high velocity bits of wire.

16 hours ago, Chris Bracey said:

Hi . I want to remove black waxoil or zeibart from body panels and chassis so I can paint with rust proofing paint . It still seems soft so I wondered if a brush and turps or paraffin  might work.

Anyone other ideas. 

Brush on parrafin/white spirit, wait to soften and use a wallpaper scraper (no smoking!!!). Waxoyl should re-liquify with either. You will have to remove all traces before painting. Consider finishing off by using por15 marine clean and then power washing before rubbing down prior to painting

Hi.

Recently removed similar, from the rear body tub, I managed to do it with Scraper(s), which removed most of it. What was left came off with Turps, Subs, (white spirit). Finished it off with Brake cleaner, and a wire brush to scour the remaining surface, then seam sealed, after which two coats of "Hamerite".

Pete