Spitfire 1500 wiper rack

petegardner_901

Evening all,

On the Spitfire 1500 I have the 2 speed wipers motor.

I want to grease the rack properly as I'm not happy with it - is it simply a matter of freeing it away from the motor body and pulling it out from the tubes under the dash - and replacing it after greasing...?

I didn't really want to get stuck and have to dismantle the scuttle area.

Thanks

40 minutes ago, petegardner_901 said:

I want to grease the rack properly as I'm not happy with it - is it simply a matter of freeing it away from the motor body and pulling it out from the tubes under the dash - and replacing it after greasing...?

Yes. Take the wipers off first so they don't spin and maybe get damaged, but the entire length of the rack will simply pull out. If you get a rubber glove and take a handful of grease you can just coat the entire length by passing it across your palm. Refitting should be a simple matter of pushing it back into the outer tube and sliding it back into place.

hey stop being clever     Ha !

if the wheel boxes are shot there are a good few supplier  places  ( other than  triumphs)  there are three main concerns in any replacement  

the depth to go through the bodywork and the number of teeth which in part controls the sweep angles and the angled bushes that seal rain .

eg  https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/wiper-systems-and-parts/

• Haha 1

Dave ,the old grease does go hard and useless , so yes its a regular service every 50 years or when things start to go slow 

if you dont know, then  its worth a look one day but not a frequent job 

its worth checking the nut on the motor housing tube and the tube clamps on the wheel boxes are all tight 

the main tube to the motor i always find is loose , under the dash is not  place i frequent and most wheel boxes are well hidden up under the scuttle 

Pete