I didn't think it would ever happen to me

Clive

Got a call for the lady wife earlier. She said her recently acquired MX5 had a very noisy exhaust. Ane she ran the car, yes, noisy. Odd I thought, no warning. So got her to check nothing falling off etc, and she could drive it home.

Got the car home and I saw the reason. 

Some ba5t4*d scroat has sawn the car out the exhaust. Seems they fetch about £2-300 on ebay!!!  I will measure up and order a bit of stainless tube to de-cat it for now. But it can't be easy to get under an MX5 to saw it off. Thought it was big 4x4 that were prone to cat theft..

Meanwhile I am fuming. Bah.

• Sad 2

Nope, no other damage visible. Which is a blessing.

Been in the garage. I have not got a long enough bit of stainless pipe spare to make a decat, so just ordered some off ebay, here friday. Saturday I will be welding it up I suppose.

Gill is not happy, she really likes the car and is now worried about it. 

I wonder who is fencing them.     The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 made it illegal to sell scrap for cash.     Payment must be via a traceable route, bank account etc. 

I found this when I wanted to buy some scrap alloy recently.   Morecambe Metals though very obliging - If I brought some scrap in as a part deal, then they will give me what I want and make a "cash adjustment"!     So maybe if you buy a bit of old iron for pennies and offer ten catalyst in exchnage the deal goes the other way, and the scrotes make their profit.

BBC reeported a couple of months ago that catalyst theft had "rocketed": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49767195

John

That act is absolutely useless, scrapyards are still full of nicked scrap metal, Police and others will do nothing about it.

At least at work we get the odd member of the local itinerant population every now and then, turning the power back on whilst they are nicking it usually does the trick.. 🙂

Cordless angle grinders have been a boon for metal thieves, perhaps tithe sale of them should be made illegal.

4 hours ago, clive said:

Got a call for the lady wife earlier. She said her recently acquired MX5 had a very noisy exhaust. Ane she ran the car, yes, noisy. Odd I thought, no warning. So got her to check nothing falling off etc, and she could drive it home.

Got the car home and I saw the reason. 

Some ba5t4*d scroat has sawn the car out the exhaust. Seems they fetch about £2-300 on ebay!!!  I will measure up and order a bit of stainless tube to de-cat it for now. But it can't be easy to get under an MX5 to saw it off. Thought it was big 4x4 that were prone to cat theft..

More common than you might think Clive, they have been nicking cat's of anything for years. A pal of mine in Manchester had four stolen off his forecourt in one night.... Cctv as well, total waste of time, they are that brazen. You can buy a metal tube cutter that is silent to cut exhausts, so an angle grinder is'nt needed.

Tony.

Making a de-cat pipe, and then will only fit another cat for the MoT I expect.

I reckon many cars have the cats built into manifolds so hard to access on the street, but of course the scrote wiki will have a list of accessible cats and no doubt their values.

Gill is still fuming.....

14 hours ago, clive said:

Thought it was big 4x4 that were prone to cat theft..

So is the car... :)  Actually from the thread title I thought you were going to tell us you'd bought an MG...

Over here they just steal the entire car - we've lost around 16 high-powered cars and 4 x 4s through keyless entry thefts in the last week alone. Straight across the frictionless border and off to sunnier climes, where no questions are asked...

• Sad 1

I install CCTV and was recently asked to provide downloaded footage from a shopping centre in London,it was a Lexus 4x4 hybrid.Guy pulled alongside,slid underneath and nicked the cat,done in 2 mins.£1800 to replace apparently.

He was driving a Vauxhall Zafira but the plates came back as a Mini.

Steve