Scamming

JohnD

I had an email this morning, from a close friend.  I've edited the conversation to preserve confidentiality, but it went like this:

Sent: today

Subject: Important Checking In

Hello,

How are you doing today?

I need your urgent help please.

Subject: Important Checking In

How can I help, Friend?

To: John Davaies <john.r.davies@btinternet.com>

Subject: Re: Important Checking In

Happy to hear back from you,  I need your help to help me purchase an iTunes gift card at the store for my Niece , Its her birthday but I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling for a surgery, can you get it from any store around you?  I'll pay back as soon as i am back, Kindly let me know if you can handle this.

I hope to hear back from you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Friend

That's when a little light went on in my mind.     I rang him, about the fortieth to do so, and no, he's well and at home, his nieces aren't having birthdays.  It's a scam.

So please don't fall for it!

John

That's a scam which has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now, albeit in various forms and wording; but the essence of deception is the same.

Worth flagging at any time.

It does make a change from someone trying to get £10000000000000000000 out of some African country or other and asking for your bank account details so they can give it all to you.

We still have a lot of the on-line dating scams over here, where Brad Pitt talks some poor lonely woman into funding his air fares, travel insurance, bank debts and medical fees and then when she finally realises it's a scam and he looks like John D's avatar, he's gone. Some local women lost over £80,000 recently. Personally, if any potential partner costs more than a couple of drinks, they're not a good investment.

Got an Email from British Gas this morning.

Good morning

Your bill is over due.

Payment of your bill is now due. Please log in to pay your bill now.
Overdue balance of £17.60
You now need to pay this amount in full to prevent disconnection

If you don't pay within 2 days.

We'll start legal action against you without further notice. If you do not pay your bill within two days of the date of this letter.
We will apply to your local Magistrates' Court to obtain a Warrant of Entry under the Rights of Entry (Gas & Electricity Boards) Act 1954, Section 2 (Amended 1995).
If we do this a £840 charge will be added to your account for applying to the court.

I haven't been with British Gas for 3 years. :lol:  Closer examination of their Email address reveals BritishGas@Joonrhee.com  :ph34r:

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Tony,

Gas is a thing of the past! New housing estates around here don't have gas connections. No.2 daughter went to see a new build, electric only and no central heating, that's up to the purchaser these days. 

Doug

Wow Doug, not heard of that..... I suppose it's a green thing? I know a couple of "new builds" near me have ground source heat pumps, but most of us are on oil heating as electric or calor is mega expensive. The lane we live in does'nt even have mains drainage....

Tony.  

We had a 12Kw electric boiler installed in our apartment a year ago and the cost is approx 10% more than gas but that is offset against the fact that we now don't have to pay for gas servicing/inspection. Really good installation, the supplier is Electric Heating Company from bonny Scotland who have approved installers all over the UK. We have ours mated to a Megaflo hot water tank and everything heats up much quicker than gas.

We had no option but to go electric as we couldn't accommodate the 3 degree flue angle in our ceiling cavity required for a new condensing boiler (our old boiler was non-condensing) so it would have meant ceiling mods, inspection hatches and lots of money.

Tony, I used to live in't countryside and the farm manager who lived next door was having his sceptic tank drained and being nosey and wanting to make sure the sucker had done it's job he put his head over the hole just as the operator said stand back......!!!! The reason being to avoid any nasties in his sucker pipe he back blows and yes the manager got a full face and body flush. His wife said he stayed in the shower for hours!!

Iain

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

We had no option but to go electric as we couldn't accommodate the 3 degree flue angle in our ceiling cavity required for a new condensing boiler (our old boiler was non-condensing) so it would have meant ceiling mods, inspection hatches and lots of money.

What does that entail? I just had one fitted but the flue goes out of the wall at 90 degrees, straight out behind it. Flaming expensive it was too!

Round here, they are replacing the old (100years?) gas pipes, by threading a new one down the old pipe.    It'll be too small, I cried!     But apparently, after it's in place, they expand it, cracking open the old pipe, and making the new big enough!

Our estate originally had three supply pipes from diffrent directions.    Only one now, and it's six inches wide!   Too big for the thread and stretch technique, so my verge is being trenched, as I'm nearest to the entry.

John

Colin, our boiler is located 5 metres from an outside wall and our original boiler had a horizontal flue. New condenser boilers need a 3 degree flue angle so condensate flows back to the boiler. Unfortunately the cavity in our ceiling isn't deep enough for the 3 degree fall. So either expensive and ugly ceiling mods or electric. As your boiler is on an outside wall the fall is not an issue.

The EHC boiler is the same size as our old gas boiler as it is not just a heating coil but includes pump, controls etc in the case. It also senses what power is needed and adjusts accordingly.

Iain

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's todays offering; reported not only to ActionFraud but also UK Police - the e-mail address might be of use to anyone else, forward the scam to them as it all helps as they can build up intelligence and maybe locate the scammers. The worrying part about this scam is that the Refund number quoted is my NI Electricity account number.

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

125886229_ScreenShot2020-01-28at16_22_25.thumb.jpg.261df6f132ef2b99970ab4bc90311fd0.jpg

Condensing boilers are very efficient - if run properly - but most aren't. The return water temperature to the boiler should be about 55'C for condensing to occur. (I'm not a gas engineer, this is just what I have read on the internet on various sites) but I am a controls engineer and I have an industrial control system at home and I've recently added a couple more sensors to monitor the temperatures - I've lowered by boiler flow temperature to about 65'C to then get the return back at 55'C - though when the hot water calls, the return goes up to 60' - I aught to regulate the water flow - but I figure I'd rather have a quicker warm up - ideally I want to change the set point in HWS mode to 75'c to get the thing up faster.

I'm monitoring my gas consumption to see if it makes any difference.

Electric heating to me is mad as its a pure form of energy and other forms are better?