Vitesse Petrol Tank Drain Plug

martyn wright

I would leave it. If the tank is out of the car and has been out for long enough to be dry (completely clear of explosive fumes) then you might be able to persuade it with a mix of penetrating oil and judicious heating/cooling, but do you need to?

Edit: forgot to say... After all, the Spitfire tank never had a drain plug...

4 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Hi All!  I am unable to undo the Drain Plug on my tank?  Is it a anti clockwise turn , as I am trying to turn it Clockwise but do not want to damage it?  Cheers martyn

If you REALLY REALLY want to, it can be removed; but as the guys have said it'll be well rusted in place. The biggest problem is twisting the entire neck off, so make sure you're turning the bolt against the neck, not the neck against the tank. It really needs something like an impact driver where rapid hammering will break the seal. I've done it on Herald tanks up until now, with success, but it takes care. 

The bolt itself is quite shallow; mine required rethreading as some of the threads were quite blunt, for some reason... plus a good sealing washer.

DSCF4347.jpg.93be540e404f2f12211504b9149667c5.jpg

isn't the drain plug external body sealing spong foam and its compression pressure plate btwn tank bottom and boot floor an archaic design where a removable full rubber grommet would do better.

If the drain plug tube was a bit shorter it would be a lot easier to remove and refit the tank without damaging bodywork! a tube could be used to route the draining fuel thro the hole in the floor

Pete I'm interested in the use of the world "travellers" in your last post obviously an English term & whilst I was born in the NE I left at 6 months old  spending 5yrs in Canada, 13 in Aus, 10 back in the UK, and the balance of  my 75yrs home in Aus, and unfortunately my parents didn't teach me that one! just curious as to its reference.

Peter T

Herald Estate doesn't have one, as the fuel take-off is at the bottom of the tank, so if you undo the fuel line on an Estate, the contents of the tank all run out.

I've just changed my clothes and opened all the garage windows after finding that a supposedly empty car had about two gallons in it. The floor is nice and clean now. 

• Haha 1