Bonnet Catches

Neil Clark

I started stripping the old crud and underseal off the scrapyard  bonnet for the Spitfire. I hadn't really looked before but the replacement panels that have been welded in don't have the opening for mounting the bonnet catches.  Searching the usual vendors on the internet I couldn't detect replacement panels with those cut outs stamped in.  Does anyone know a source or is there another way to do it please?  I'm going to have to do some welding on it anyway - you can see the triangular vents that were cut at the back of the bonnet that need filling.

IMG_4886.JPG

Odd... every Spitfire front wing I've ever bought had the release handle cutouts already made. That's an early type bonnet, not a MkIV, so the seams along the sides behind the wheel arches are not original, and suggest somebody has patched it up with plain sheet steel.

Agree with Rob. It looks like a (talented) repair but they didn't make the recesses.

Few options. 1. Find a highly skilled welder/fabicator to make the cutouts. Not at all easy. 2.Fit complete wings. Especially if there is damage elsewhere. 3. Cut the lower sections off your damaged bonnet and get the welder doing the other repairs to fit them to this bonnet.

I hope you have a decent welder, the repair on the top panel will be tricky to do without causing distortion. Not to be given to just anybody who can weld. Maybe the people who will be spaying can do it, as they will understand the potential issues. In fact I would be tempted to glue repair sections in, but they would need a joddled edge underneath, so be visible when the bonnet is up.

Thanks Clive.  Agree your point 1 is unlikely to be easy.  For 2 yes, I could do that, it's just the £250.00 odd for parts that I see on the internet I would like to avoid.  On 3 the left hand catch aperture is badly distorted / split on my own bonnet so I think I would need at least one new wing anyway.  

On the top panel you are absolutely correct.  I know enough welding theory to know my skills are not there yet and I need to delegate this or do as you suggest!  I hadn't thought about glueing - what glue would you suggest?  I don't mind the under bonnet part being visible.

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

a thought ....could you use external a buckle strap arrangement used by some other cars rather than the  OE  cam latches 

Pete

Or... just bonnet locks, which would necessitate a round hole only. All you'd have on the outside would be a small keyhole, and they could be fitted so that the latch of the lock engages with the bulkhead clamp.

3 hours ago, Neil Clark said:

Thanks Clive.  Agree your point 1 is unlikely to be easy.  For 2 yes, I could do that, it's just the £250.00 odd for parts that I see on the internet I would like to avoid.  On 3 the left hand catch aperture is badly distorted / split on my own bonnet so I think I would need at least one new wing anyway.  

On the top panel you are absolutely correct.  I know enough welding theory to know my skills are not there yet and I need to delegate this or do as you suggest!  I hadn't thought about glueing - what glue would you suggest?  I don't mind the under bonnet part being visible.

A decent bodyshop will be used to glue-on panels, it is one of the recognised methods as welding repairs is often not possible on modern cars. It is a super epoxy glue, like araldite but MUCH better (and more expensive!)

A friend works in a body shop. They glued a replacement roof on a nearly new VW after it was damaged.... it was the factory repair method, authorised by the insurance company, so is not a shortcut etc, and will last.

I have a number of bonnet panels in my shed. ie a pair of wings, one nos Stanpart with a few storage bruises and some surface rust and 1 pattern, I think 2 D plates and 1 light ring though I can't remember which side all bought to repair my MK2 bonnet but eventually converted a brand new MK3 as it worked out very little more expensive considering the labour cost. (not available now). I was just keeping them just in case but would part with them for a reasonable sum to help get another back on the road.Of course I used the sidelight repair panels to adapt the mk3 bonnet. 

Dan that's amazing!  I am very interested.  I'm not yet familiar with the "D plate" reference or the "nos Stanpart".  I'm definitely in need of what I think is the headlamp ring, 612873 headlamp bracket LH. And as you pointed out 907157RP and 907158RP (left and right hand) side lamp nose panels.  My email is neilhclark@outlook.com or mobile 07785 304355. 

Possibly also the wings.  My LH wing has some slight damage where it meets the headlamp ring and as you know I have no bonnet catch recesses in the current wings.  I'm only in SW London so easy for me to collect from Maidenhead.

Thanks

Neil

19 minutes ago, Neil Clark said:

I'm not yet familiar with the "D plate" reference or the "nos Stanpart".

The "D-plate" is the mostly-horizontal panel that connects the bottom of the side lamp nose panel (front of wing originally) to the wheel arch and the strengthening plate (where the frame attaches). Very visible in the photo at the top of this thread.

"NOS" means "New Old Stock" - i.e. stuff manufactured way back in the day but has sat on a shelf and never been used. "Stanpart" was the spare parts division of Standard Triumph before it all got merged in BL and Unipart. So a "nos Stanpart" bit is the bogs dollocks, much better than any repro bits.

8 minutes ago, NonMember said:

"NOS" means "New Old Stock" - i.e. stuff manufactured way back in the day but has sat on a shelf and never been used. "Stanpart" was the spare parts division of Standard Triumph before it all got merged in BL and Unipart. So a "nos Stanpart" bit is the bogs dollocks, much better than any repro bits.

As Rob says, they're the ones to go for, as many more modern replacements are called 'pattern parts' which means they were made using an original as a template, and are in some cases not the best fit. (Which is where you see the term 'fettling', a polite way of saying they wouldn't fit and had to be made to....)

If buying online from certain auction sites, you may also see parts advertised as NOS, usually with the description: "This part is NOS and was fitted to my car which has since covered less than 500 miles..." :)  

personally I would get the tub etc swapped onto the new chassis before looking at that bonnet as it has had a lot of work done to it and you will never know how well it is likely to fit without a good chassis/tub to trial. I would also get it cleaned back to see what is actually there as there appears to be a lot of filler in the sidelamp areas and to assess the quality of work done.. 

I definitely have the left hand light ring 612873 and the wings, they have been in my shed for 10 years, so there is no rush

Lots of stuff is described as New Old stock but that could today mean 15 year old poor quality stuff unless you know the manufacturer!

Yes it's getting there.  There's going to be hiatus as I've a lot on in February / March but hopefully by Easter I'll be well on the way to reassembly.

I will buy the headlamp ring if I may, but I'll leave the wings for now until I can trial fit to the straight chassis and know just how good or bad this bonnet really is!  I've found the side lamp panels today elsewhere.  The D rings are good - in fact underneath is a lot better than the top!