Time for some new boots!

Adrian

I’ve had my car 5 years, got a slow puncture in one tyre, tyres were already well old when I got it (gone hard).

175’s are on but thinking about lightening the steering I thought 155/70 would be good.

Any thoughts?

4 hours ago, Adrian said:

I’ve had my car 5 years, got a slow puncture in one tyre, tyres were already well old when I got it (gone hard).

175’s are on but thinking about lightening the steering I thought 155/70 would be good.

Any thoughts?

Does 155/70R13 even exist as a size? If so, it -- or even a 165/70R13 is going to have a diameter noticeably smaller than an original tire, and most people are not looking for something that essentially further "lowers" the gearing in these cars! A 175/70R13 is pretty close to original diameter and will work on a 4.5" rim.

21 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

My 68 2L Vitesse, standard steel rims, tyres 155/80 R13 79T.

My 67 Vitesse is also on standard wheels and 155/80R13 tyres, as is my 1970 Spitfire. They look right and work well.

However, my Mk3 GT6 has Lotus Europa Cosmic alloys and 175/70 tyres, which seems to suit it rather well. The steering is only heavy at parking speeds.

The reason I say 155/70 is longstonetyre website says 155 is as close to original as possible but obviously not paying their prices and 70 are what are on now. There are loads of manufacturers out there. So by the look of it 80 is the better option?

155/80R13 will have near as damn the same rolling radius as the 175/70R13 which you have now. Years ago 155/80R13 was known as simply 155R13 because lower profiles (lower than 80 - which was/is the standard for radials) hadn't been invented yet!

Cheers, Richard

12 hours ago, johny said:

a 165/80 13 is 3.5% bigger the 175 and works/looks a treat on my Vitesse but unfortunately the range is now pretty limited😟

Falken Sincera SN832 in 165/80/13 are available (Halfords fitting centres for example) and are very good tyres in both wet and dry. Probably the best all round tyres I've had on my Spitfire.

https://www.halfords.com/tyres/falken/sincera-sn832-ecorun-sincerasn832ecorun.html