Steer me in the right direction

Hello All,

My new '68 Vitesse Mk1 has a rapidly decomposing steering wheel which I'd like to replace with a nice wood one. I find that knee space is a bit tight whilst driving the car, even with the seat right back, so wondered what other Vitesse owners would recommend as regards wheel diameter and the dish/no dish option etc? With wood you obviously need to think about the match with the dash as well, so any thoughts on the best suppliers who provide lighter colour versions would be helpful. If any of you could attach a picture of your wheel that would also be great.

Many thanks, and stay safe out there.

Ian 

Tricky as a lot depends on what suits you.

But in general a wheel that is dished seems to work well, but there are different dish depths. And remember you can alter how far the wheel is from the dash, the column is telescopic.

Likewise, the smaller the wheel the harder work it is to steer, especially at parking speeds. I have used a 14" wheel when I used my vitesse, but a 13" will be ok if you have a hearty breakfast.

My last point, a wood wheel may llok good, but the feel is an acquired taste. I never like it, much prefer a quality leather wheel, far more comfortable and better grip. There is also the safety aspect, should you have a nasty accident, a plain wood rim could split in an unpleasant manner, so would strongly recommend a proper MotaLita wheel. In fact quality applies in general, I have heard of several aftermarket wheels breaking where the spokes enter the rim, scary! Here is a place quality is far more important than aesthetics.

Thanks Clive, those are all useful points to take note of........particularly the telescopic column, for some reason I thought the column was fixed. The original wheel is definitely terminal, but your comments regarding the feel and safety of a wood wheel have given me pause for thought, as I've never actually had a car with a wood wheel before. I'll definitely broaden the search based on your feedback.

Thanks,

Ian

Don't dispose of the original wheel, they are sought after and can be recovered (diy kits are available, seen a 2000 wheel that had been done and was great)

Sadly shows/meetings are likely to be in short supply for this year, so the opportunity to sit in cars and try is limited at best. But probably worth waiting until you get the opportunity. Quality wheels are not cheap so you want to get it right. My thing about comfort is that the hardness seems to transmit vibrations to your  hands. Despite my steering being solid mounted and solid UJ, it feels lovely with a decent leather wheel. (can't remember the make, possibly momo?)

To get your taste buds going, this site is ideal for looking at options (just look, it is a USA site)

http://www.mrsteeringwheel.com/classic/

47 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

Thanks Clive, those are all useful points to take note of........particularly the telescopic column, for some reason I thought the column was fixed. The original wheel is definitely terminal, but your comments regarding the feel and safety of a wood wheel have given me pause for thought, as I've never actually had a car with a wood wheel before. I'll definitely broaden the search based on your feedback.

Thanks,

Ian

Don't think the column was intended as telescopic rather as collapsible with the clamp torque set to slide in the event of an impact. Obviously you can move the wheel towards the dash but then there won't be any cushioning effect if you do hit it.

1 hour ago, johny said:

Don't think the column was intended as telescopic rather as collapsible with the clamp torque set to slide in the event of an impact. Obviously you can move the wheel towards the dash but then there won't be any cushioning effect if you do hit it.

Thanks Johny, I'll actually be moving the steering wheel away from the dash to improve knee room, as it's currently set quite close to the dash.......so that shouldn't be a problem.

Ian 

mountney wheels tend to have the rim and spokes held by a clip arrangement and  can feel a bit lacking in how good is this.

I had a les weston wood rimon the vitesse but  had a thin rim takes a lot of finger gripping .  this backs up Clives idea of thicker /leather is easier for wrinkled pinkies to grip

as a compromise on cost/good quality had a browse at Springalex   i have a wood rim on the 2000 but it has power stg so grip is ...less 

Motalita can cost a lot of ££££  and not that much better  worth a look

yes the column is desinged to collapse but this means you can raise or lower it near or far away from the dash by a good few inches   do read up how to set the simple clamp 

its not rocket science , but the column shaft and its outer tube are quite moveable

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

On the GT6 where leg space is minimal I found 13" semi-dished gave a nice compromise of size and angle; it's also got a quite thick leather rim so very comfortable. Cost me £5 off eBay, and I just supplied my own boss.

DSCF5440.jpg.5ff9fd8d54dfbf4c339ac4376b6d7d8b.jpg

That wheel looks superb in the GT6 Colin, it just looks right doesn't it?  The Vitesse is going to need a slightly different approach though, as a more traditional wheel will fit in better with the general aesthetic. Following on from Clive's comments I've now started to consider trying to revamp the original wheel, which is an approach that hadn't occurred to me before starting this thread. How difficult can it be??........I have some black leather knocking about the workshop, so perhaps I'll have a go at re-covering the original wheel myself. 

Ian  

14 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

I've now started to consider trying to revamp the original wheel, which is an approach that hadn't occurred to me before starting this thread. How difficult can it be??

The professional trimmer who fitted my Spitfire's interior expressed a strong preference for not being asked to re-cover the steering wheel (an original Vitesse Mk1 type). I don't think that necessarily makes it really difficult, it's just horribly fiddly and can only be done hand-stitched. An ideal job for stretching over a few weeks of not being allowed out, perhaps.

20 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

Following on from Clive's comments I've now started to consider trying to revamp the original wheel, which is an approach that hadn't occurred to me before starting this thread. How difficult can it be??........I have some black leather knocking about the workshop, so perhaps I'll have a go at re-covering the original wheel myself. 

Ian  

Give it a go, hopefully you'll be able to get the materials you need (difficult these days!) and nothing can go wrong that can't be undone by a professional if it comes to that. I'm a past-master at sending e-mails that start "I tried to do it myself, but..."

Have a good look on fleabay Ian, as Clive said. I fitted one to a mates car last year. It took about 4hours as it was lace up, but it came with everything to do it and most of it looked fantastic. It was about £30 for the full kit.

Tony.

Just as an addendum to this thread, I got the spanners out this afternoon and adjusted the steering column. I was surprised how easy it was, and positioned the steering wheel 2 inches further away from the dash, which has made a big difference to my driving comfort. For those contemplating this job I can reassure you that it is very straightforward and worthwhile for taller drivers. 

Ian

• Like 2