Spax Shock absorber adjustment

I have spax shocks on my GT6 and feel the ride is a little hard. I have adjusted the dampening,  but it gets a little "floaty" if I soften them up to a comfortable level  I thought that extending the spring length might help. 

There is a nut and lock nut at the top as you can see in the photo and a screw with a square top. Can I adjust the height from there? if so, any advice on how much, there is an inch or so of thread to play with.

Seems that spax dont really give a whole lot of info on the products they make !!!

Thanks for any advice if anyone has a set of these in their car.

Ian Hughes 

20200413_175516.heic

Edited by Ian Hughes
repost photo

sorry cant open the photo

this is the problems not  mentioned they cost a fortune but where do you set them we dont have chassis dyno's to measure the bump and rebound

in general triumphs tend to be set at the lightest setting on spax or gaz, there is no easy way just lots of trial and error till you get what you feel is suitable for your car driving,and loads 

to change the spring height you do have to alter the spring pad position  , do you have std springs   there is a good deal of fitted length data in the workshop manual  for all models 

Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

sorry cant open the photo

this is the problems not  mentioned they cost a fortune but where do you set them we dont have chassis dyno's to measure the bump and rebound

in general triumphs tend to be set at the lightest setting on spax or gaz, there is no easy way just lots of trial and error till you get what you feel is suitable for your car driving,and loads 

to change the spring height you do have to alter the spring pad position  , do you have std springs   there is a good deal of fitted length data in the workshop manual  for all models 

Pete

My Gaz rear shocks are set on 2 .

Initially started with 5 and the rear passenger was bouncing and close to hitting the roof 😱😱🌟

Paul 

1 hour ago, Ian Hughes said:

I have spax shocks on my GT6 and feel the ride is a little hard. I have adjusted the dampening,  but it gets a little "floaty" if I soften them up to a comfortable level  I thought that extending the spring length might help. 

There is a nut and lock nut at the top as you can see in the photo and a screw with a square top. Can I adjust the height from there? if so, any advice on how much, there is an inch or so of thread to play with.

Seems that spax dont really give a whole lot of info on the products they make !!!

Thanks for any advice if anyone has a set of these in their car.

Ian Hughes 

20200413_175516.heic

If you mean the threaded part at the top, no, that is nothing to do with adjustment, but is the clamping to the top mount. If that is loose it would get "interesting in a very bad way!

The floatyness could just be the difference, you may need to compromise. Or rather the shocks my have been setr too hard for the springs, so to "cure " you may need stiffer springs but the lighter damping setting. It is not as simple as it seems! (I am assuming you have std springs fitted)

Presume you mean front springs? No, you can't adjust the spring length with those nuts on top.  They clamp the spring top plate to the top of the damper rod, compressing a pair of rubber bushes.  They should also not be undone without spring compressors in place as most springs free length will be longer than the damper and will fire the spring top plate off with considerable violence once the nuts get to the end of the thread.

Likely the best solution is to bin the Spax and buy some Konis.  Not especially cheap (best bought from Bastuck in Germany, especially as you live in Euroland) but they do seem to give the best combination of ride and body control.  I ignored people telling me this for literally decades and only when I finally bought some (after dabbling with Spax and AVO) did I finally believe.....

You don't say what springs you have, but they'll work nicely with the standard 220lb ones or up to about 350lb rating.  Beyond that you'll need spring spacers as the Konis don't have adjustable spring seats.

Nick

I had spax on the rear and Gaz on the front of my Vit6   always having twiddle to get some sensible damping as it changed with vehicle loading and road conditions .............all in a waste of money , Im convinced they are so expensive those with have to say they are wonderful  the truth is stick with a unit as Nick suggests 

they will do what it says and no hassle 

if there is some float    do check the front and rear toe in with the 150lbs on each seat 

dont need lasers  search on here toe in the simple way  any rear toe errors will rear steer and bunny hop on bumps , 

https://shop.bastuck2.de/index.php?cat=20000&hg=22700

Here, towards the bottom of the page.  Red Koni adjustable.  Also fixed rate "premium comfort" version available for considerably less - no idea what they are like.

Bastuck likely to be cheaper than any UK supplier - you may have to ring them to make payment.

Nick