webasto Sun roof

Alex Lowe

I have contacted the trimming centre

Turns out I have a Britax Weathershield sunroof and for refurbishment they wanted £950 plus VAT which is out of my price range being a student so if anyone has any suggestions of where else to try? 

6 minutes ago, Alex Lowe said:

Turns out I have a Britax Weathershield sunroof and for refurbishment they wanted £950 plus VAT which is out of my price range being a student so if anyone has any suggestions of where else to try? 

Does it need the vinyl replaced or the headlining as well . If it’s just the vinyl it’s a possible DIY at less than £150 

Paul 

54 minutes ago, Alex Lowe said:

Hi Alex, there is a chap close to you in Highley that used to fit them in the 70's and is very knowledgeable about them. Any good to you?

Tony.

2 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Hi Alex, there is a chap close to you in Highley that used to fit them in the 70's and is very knowledgeable about them. Any good to you?

Tony.

That's incredibly helpful and more info would be fantastic. 

And I think the headlining could be saved but im worried the frame could be very far gone as a large amount of big rust pieces have fallen out of it recently.

Thats good to know It can be done at home as thought it was going to be one of the few things I would be unable to do.

Would removing the runners be a bad idea so I am able to spray the tub under them as looks like they are just pop riveted in place?

ive seen riveted and screwed runners

I have never removed the frame , just the cover, 

have fitted a load of fixed sun roofs we had a load of obsolete stock from the factory and even had to fit one on the guys car who fitted them on the can line 

one of a lifetime of moonligthing evening   hobbies   drilling the first hole is the challenge   ha !

if you dont really need then replace the whole roof with  a second hand unmolested roof may be a cheaper option

Pete

1 hour ago, Alex Lowe said:

I think the headlining could be saved but im worried the frame could be very far gone as a large amount of big rust pieces have fallen out of it recently.

The frame - especially the front rail that the vinyl is glued to - will be rusted very badly. However you must not dispose of it! They're not available, so your expert Britax sunroof restorer will need it as a pattern and to rescue the bits he can't fabricate.

I remember there was a thorough article online on the restoration of a Britax for a lotus Sunbeam a few years back (might be worth a google?). It's mainly straight forward and you could get the headline and top cover online (or make your own?) and some other bits, but not all. The front and rear plates that Non member mentioned are normally reformed/curved with sheet steel as a whole section in one of those rolling machines, though I guess new metal could let in on the rusted areas and panel beaten to correct shape?.