Fan mounts

ahebron

While I have the radiator out I decided to shorten the fan mounting boss by 10mm which was an easy job on the lathe, I just had to deepen the hole that the boss fits over the crank by about 4mm.
This should give a bit more space between the fan and radiator.

I noticed that the rubber bushes the fan mounts with were well past their best. I had a bar of UHMW so turned it down to two halves for each hole, a snug fit on both sides and good shove to get the metal spacer in. Hopefully using these to mount the fan will be ok but I am sure I will be told otherwise😉

UHMW.JPG

Fan mounts.JPG

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

That's a very neat job!

Nigel

Neater than mine; I replaced all four rubber mounts on the GT6 engine fan, replaced the radiator and the engine valences and shrouds and only then started it up to find the fan wobbling alarmingly. I thought all of the bolts were tight before I put the tab washers on. I don't really want to have to remove the shrouds, drain and remove the radiator and adjust the fan... :(

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Eh?  you need to explain why, johny!

I think Johnny means that moving the fan back from the radiator will reduce the effect ie the suction through the fins; not being technically trained in such it's my concept that a fan close to the rad will suck more air through the rad; further back increases the gap and may allow a modicum of air to be drawn around the sides rather than through. Maybe only a minute amount in the scheme of things?

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

you do need to take care with fans the rubber bushes are to reduce engine vibrations being magnified by the fan , if too hard you can run into fan blade rupture 

Pete

Thanks Pete

Thats what I need to know.

Wouldn't this have been worse with the old metal fans then the plastic ones?

Just a thought if your using a sucker with a fan shroud wouldn't it be better for the fan blade to be slightly off the rad core so your sucking over the whole rad area.

I use a pusher on the daughters Spit with wide radiator, I don't think a fan shroud would assist at all, comments pls positive or negatively

Peter T 

7 hours ago, ahebron said:

Thanks Pete

Thats what I need to know.

Wouldn't this have been worse with the old metal fans then the plastic ones?

yes certainly ,plastic must be less inertia and more friendly to the vibes 

Im sure  your bushes will be ok it was just some thoughts from my days of fan blades detaching 

we had large truck ones escape through the cab floor ,  thats a bit more excessive nastyiness 

jave look for JohnD post with his harmonic damper test kit 

and talking metal fans the orig metal ones had a small balance weight on the bolts with  drilled location hole and the rubber bushes to fiddle in.

Pete

25 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and talking metal fans the orig metal ones had a small balance weight on the bolts with  drilled location hole and the rubber bushes to fiddle in.

Pete

I think (must go look!) I have early Herald fans with the half-moon balance setup; any idea how they would have originally been balanced?

they would be spun up on a balancing machine with a ....guard ,  bit like a tyre balancer maybe a strobe to freeze a mark to show where to get the best place 

then a drill gave the hole for future alignment 

google fan balancer gives some modern machines 

pete