AC Delco fuel pump Vitesse Mk1

Gentryman

Hi I want to either get a new mechanical fuel pump or overhaul my existing one. It is the Vitesse Mk 1 AC pump with the almost straight lever. I can't find replacement ones, does anyone do them? or if not who sells the best overhaul kit? Thanks

The repair kits for the usual Vitesse pump are widely available but I got a new pump as there wasn't very much difference in price. There seems to be two models available, mine has the inlet connection in the top cap and came from James Paddock. It's been fine and it was a lot easier than changing the valves that leaked in the old unit.

The pump on the Vitesse 1600 and early Mk1 (up to engine HC4999) is different to the later one, and hard to find. I assume that's what you have? I've possibly got one spare as I replaced the engine in my Vitesse (the old was HC932, the new is HC56xx) and had to change the pump too. But I've done a couple of rebuilds on these AC pumps and they're not hard. I think I got the kits from Canley.

Don't forget you can change the lever, which means you can find a pump of the same size and change it over to suit your Vitesse. I've bought brand new pumps for less than the price of a refurb kit, and either swapped the levers, or used the new parts on my old unit.

The seller of this refurb kit has it listed for all Vitesse from 1962 on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-GT6-VITESSE-TR2-TR4A-VITESSE-AC-DELCO-TYPE-FUEL-PUMP-REPAIR-KIT-EP8052/372922604897?fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph&epid=11036800021&hash=item56d3eb5d61:g:FY8AAOSwNaBeJx0g

in general    the   various AC Delco pumps of the day were common to suit  ie .   a pump capacity  for 4 cyl  and a pump with capacity fo  6 cyl types , so 1600 or mk1 2lt  mk2 2ltr are all the same 

the was evolution over the  years 

you can transpose all the lever arms on glass tops they are good for reviving from a donor

later the glass top was replaced with an all metal pump 

the odd one for 4 cyl  is  the long arm 1500 4 cyl pump

pete

Early Mk1 2L uses the 1600 pump, the later ones are different but only in the shape of the actuating lever. The engine change was early - HC5000 - so a lot of suppliers only list the later parts for 2L and treat the early engines as 1600. The exception seems to be crankshaft bearings, which isn't helped by the official WSM quoting pre-5000 dimensions for all Mk1 engines and the later for only Mk2.

Hi Dave,    if the valves are staked in place you have to remove the deformed stake and with a new valve in place find a way to re secure it in place 

there used to be a tubular tool with the detents to re caulk the pump body to stake the valves  , not seen one for years ( got a hammer but no punch ) 

a wack with a  pin punch probably wont work well,   early pumps the valves are held with a screwed in plate   ...much better for DIY

so there;s no real tricks for a staked valve ,( someone will have a way )   same as staked propshaft UJ   

pete

Though the good old parts book states a change of fuel pump at engine number HC4500 quite a few past this number still had early type fitted. Even a few Mk2. The early glass dome type is no longer available. 

The two types are given below - 

1600 and Early Mk1.JPG

Later Mk1 and all Mk2.JPG

2 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

Though the good old parts book states a change of fuel pump at engine number HC4500

That number relates to the base engine change (HC5000 is normally quoted) and hence the shape of the operating arm, since the pump moved down the block a bit. The "later" pump was still a glass bowl type. The metal cap change was much later - possibly even beyond the end of Vitesse production. Strangely, the glass bowl type seemed to remain current for the 2000 saloon well into the 1970s - certainly my 2500S had one.

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

That number relates to the base engine change (HC5000 is normally quoted) and hence the shape of the operating arm, since the pump moved down the block a bit. The "later" pump was still a glass bowl type. The metal cap change was much later - possibly even beyond the end of Vitesse production. Strangely, the glass bowl type seemed to remain current for the 2000 saloon well into the 1970s - certainly my 2500S had one.

The later metal top pump was fitted to the later Mk1 and Mk2 (part number 213577) as well has the glass bowl type. Mainly Mk2. Both, later types, were supplied against the same part number and I would say it was a supply line issue. The operating arm is the same on both later types.

The change in arm took place in the MK1 Vitesse on engine number HC4500.

Dave 

• 4 weeks later...

Just rebuilt the pump on my 1600 and it wouldnt work.
I fitted the kit and replaced the valves but no joy.
Out with the pressure gauge and outlet is giving positive 2.5psi but input was giving nothing.
Take the top off the pump and noticed that the glass bowl had a wee chip ,out of its base that would not seal against the gasket.
Luckily I had a spare glass dome with no damage and that was fitted and the pump has negative pressure on inlet and positive on outlet and best of all it pumps petrol😉
I might try repair the damaged glass with knead it or a glue.

Adrian