Spring washers.

Adrian Saunders

I have just bolted my brake discs to some new, aluminium hubs and some of the spring washers have deformed as per the attached picture. I’m considering swapping to Schnorr washers as we use these at work, they cannot deform in this way and they still bite into the fastener head and part. Has anyone else experienced this deformation and changed the washer type? 

52B4D878-1C98-43E4-9952-080E26343B90.jpeg

Hello Adrian

They are cheap and nasty spring washers made down to a price

I have had the same rubbish probably better to use the old ones ? I have even put the set back on them by a gentle twist(still better than those!)

Roger

after many trials  on truck assy we dumped all spring washers as useless back in the 80s  

plain washer and plain  nut and torque control on every fixing won the day 

i would use a good plain washer and a firm loctite  apply the torqure  and forget the silly  spring things , 

Pete

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

after many trials  on truck assy we dumped all spring washers as useless back in the 80s  

plain washer and plain  nut and torque control on every fixing won the day 

i would use a good plain washer and a firm loctite  apply the torqure  and forget the silly  spring things , 

Pete

Pete, did you ever try Schnorr washers? They’re quite similar to a Belleville but they have serrations both sides. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Adrian

They are cheap and nasty spring washers made down to a price

I have had the same rubbish probably better to use the old ones ? I have even put the set back on them by a gentle twist(still better than those!)

Roger

Roger, it was so disappointing. All the old ones that I’ve removed from the car looked fine but as they’re so cheap one tends to replace anyway. 

36 minutes ago, Adrian Saunders said:

Pete, did you ever try Schnorr washers? They’re quite similar to a Belleville but they have serrations both sides. 

I always wondered what they were called Adrian, i was given some ages ago and they are brilliant.

Tony.

23 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I always wondered what they were called Adrian, i was given some ages ago and they are brilliant.

Tony.

Tony, we use them extensively at work. Our CEO swears by them and absolutely detests spring washers or a bolted joint without washers. The Schnorr washers are very effective. I’m in work tomorrow so I shall grab a few of each size to try out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

did you ever try Schnorr washers? They’re quite similar to a Belleville but they have serrations both sides. 

we did have plain   nuts with  bellevilled crimped on serrated washers  later in the 90s 

still got some in my box of metrics ........very useful   

we did buy a  load  of obsolete unf from a ford stock clearance and have 1000s of nuts bolts and washers   all lengths and diameters ...reckon they will still be here when the happy hunting grounds call time!!!

Pete

Learnt of Schnorrs during my Motorsport degree (chatting with instructor - not in a lecture, of course!).     Teams will use only those, or an alternative, Heico, Nord-lock.    Never, ever the split, spring washer.   It's what I use now, on anything rotating.

John

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

we did have plain   nuts with  bellevilled crimped on serrated washers  later in the 90s 

still got some in my box of metrics ........very useful   

Found some yesterday but can't for the life of me remember what I bought them for... I'm assuming they're metric, of course.