Door anti burst catch

Tom

Hi Pete.

You are spot-on. And mist parts which DO require lubing, DO get lubed!

In 35 yrs ownership, including when it has had extensive daily use (usually the point at which regular lubing  falls off through general living tiredness!) I've never realised this part should actually move, even though I occasionally used to lightly oil the catches until I decided I didn't like continually ruining my clothing as I squeezed in!! 

If it doesn't respond to lube & manipulation, I'll let you all know. She's had 1 half renovation & 1 more recent major restoration, both of which could've screwed the catches up, for all I know . . . 

To be continued . . . ??😃😃

Hi Steve P,

I'm in Herne Bay, North Kent coast.

So there's the consideration of the initial appointment to view underneath on a hydraulic ramp to discuss the what & how; and then if agreed, the when & at that point how the heck I get back to Herne Bay from Surrey (wifey no drivey!).

But I'm more than happy to receive contact details, if you think it might be a 'goer' 😃

Best, C.

Chaps - not sure anyone responded to this 'Q' of mine! Any ideas, please?

"Extra Q:- is what you can see in my picture the thing 'in', or 'out'??"

Colin :- any chance of a photo showing the catch aperture where that sprung slider wedge comes from, please? And, did you say that on removal it all falls apart (bad move), or I could trap itcall in folded card were I to lift from the car - make sure spring doesn't escape etc. . . Am thinking easier to free off when off car!

Am also thinking car sprayer may have removed, lost the gubbins and just shoved back on car . . . 

Best,

C.

well when its in its In    Ha  

the wedge is pulled back into the striker by its spring  when the door closes the wedge slides towards the centre of the car and takes up any clearance between the door and B post strikers 

if its seized it stays static and the door can lift and open 

4 hours ago, Colin said:

Chaps - not sure anyone responded to this 'Q' of mine! Any ideas, please?

"Extra Q:- is what you can see in my picture the thing 'in', or 'out'??"

Colin :- any chance of a photo showing the catch aperture where that sprung slider wedge comes from, please? And, did you say that on removal it all falls apart (bad move), or I could trap itcall in folded card were I to lift from the car - make sure spring doesn't escape etc. . . Am thinking easier to free off when off car!

Am also thinking car sprayer may have removed, lost the gubbins and just shoved back on car . . . 

Best,

C.

In your photo the catch is 'in', pulled in by the spring. It will stay there, and move only slightly in the slot as the door opens or closes, until pulled out by an owner... and if the spring is not unhooked from the end beforehand, the spring will stretch so won't return back to as it was before. Wash it out with petrol and lubricate lightly with graphite, without removing the slider!

The slot has an indent along one side, which a ridge in the slider fits into; it can only go in one way. If you need to remove the slider, study the end and you'll see how a very fine spring hooks on. Maybe easy to remove but could be fun getting it back on again. In the lower photo you can see the small hole which the spring hooks onto at that end.

IMG_6149.thumb.jpeg.26e9a01e819ea4c2af6698ee8b46bb39.jpeg IMG_6148.thumb.jpeg.c4e9cae418cce1d5e2489ad8ae644134.jpeg IMG_6146.thumb.jpeg.02335e9c615f226ddb452075a049cf74.jpeg

Hi All:- yes, I have to slam the door shut. I roll the window down & bang it shut from the sitting position. Thank you very much for the pictures - certainly cleaning the spring (fuel etc) and a light lubing will - if it's still in there - ease its operation. At what point, if one pulls, to ease it, can the spring (that doesn't look very strong) become useless !!??!! Not that I plan on pulling it that hard! I'm struggling (in my head) to understand how it works; its function), but am guessing until I can get to it that the profile of the door striker plate, where it changes angle, has at least a big part of this. Oh for a bagfull of relevant spares!! As usual, thanks all😀 Best, C.

OK folks; update.

I have eased the 'wedge'. Nice strong spring. Side of the wedge seemed to have a hint of a burr edge - and even clean & silicone lubed occasionally jammed in. I've done my best. 

Fiddled with its positioning on the 'B'post and really screwed up the closure (lack of), but finally got a half decent, non-burst close. But there are definite front hinge & fixings adjustments needing to be made . . . 

Will check the passenger door's catch, too.

Still don't really see what it does - sorry! Picture or drawing required!! 

Best, Colin.