Best Body Filler

Hi Guys,

Getting my Spitfire Mk3 back from the body shop next weekend after extensive welding. The new panels are fine but some places where metal sheet has been welded in, such as front scuttle and bonnet wheel arches, are in need of some filler to blend them. What filler do you recommend? I have some cellulose putty for those areas requiring very little but other areas need something more substantial.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers.

If there's a fair amount needed, or if it's covering a weld, I try to start with either lead loading (if you're good at it) or a GRP type filler (P40). This keeps the vulnerable bits dry - normal filler isn't waterproof. Then I generally use "Bodysoft" for the final fill up to shape.

2 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Hi Guys,

Getting my Spitfire Mk3 back from the body shop next weekend after extensive welding. The new panels are fine but some places where metal sheet has been welded in, such as front scuttle and bonnet wheel arches, are in need of some filler to blend them. What filler do you recommend? I have some cellulose putty for those areas requiring very little but other areas need something more substantial.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers.

Having done a few "amateur resprays" over the years, I gave up on cellulose stopper years ago. 

Now I use this stuff, absolutely superb and much much much easier to use.

1K-Grey-Stopper-Fine-Filler-Finissage-180g-Tube-x-1-FAST-DISPATCH

As to filler, I will be honest I have used several varieties, and found them all to be pretty similar (except one from Toolstation a few years ago that was rock hard and almost impossible to sand) 

If you want a fibreglass filler, I find Upol Fibral nice to use. The strands are much finer, so easier to get a good finish. I used it over 10 years ago to "bodge" my Toledo roof gutters/roof edge, and still good despite living outside.  But in general I would only use fibreglass if there are holes (of any size) 

Guess I am lucky, Autopaints is literally just down the road from me. And they have a chappie there who is renowned for his paint-matching skills. Way better than the magic-eye machines.

not used for blending but had long lasting results with Marine Epoxy   its water proof ,and similar to Clives its much firmer to flat down 

but wheel arch. / door skins repairs lasted 6 yrs , then sold her ,  it dosnt soak up moisture like some fillers 

Pete

On 07/06/2020 at 20:33, SpitfireGeorge said:

cellulose putty for those areas requiring very little

As others have said - don't use this.  It sinks horribly and all the marks you thought you'd hidden will reappear soon after you put the top coat on.  Single part stoppers are all a bit prone to this unless only filling tiny defects, but the cellulose ones are the worst.

My personal favourite is Upol Dolphin Glaze.  This is a two part stopper that is quite fluid so very easy to mix and apply.  Also sands easily.  Will probably manage up to about 2mm depth.  Comes in a bladder-like bag with a screw stopper so easy to reseal and keeps well.

For greater thicknesses then P38 is as good as any.

Nick