Herald rear tub/chassis mounting

Tom

You'll love this one, then.... one I bought back about 2005. The rear outriggers have metal box section, looks about 2 inch, on top of them and the tub still wouldn't level up. The door gap was quite spectacular.

psdoorgap.JPG.7e0834148f5191e595d3d92098150e01.JPG osrigger.JPG.06fa288d1722fb1e1291169eeae0719d.JPG

nsrigger.JPG.86fd12257dd9dc6952f2faebe2bf16c2.JPG

On my current Herald I'm using the canvas-reinforced mountings and am compressing them quite substantially, I'd agree about 50%. They're bulging out at the sides but I guarantee you they won't move about.

Blimey Colin I have never seen anything like that!!! What were they thinking? Makes my car look like a precision Swiss watch!!!

Not managed to get back in the garage today been working through my 'domestic' jobs list!

Well I got back in the garage, done a bit of shimming and jiggery pokery. everything apart from the boot outriggers seem acceptable,I've definitely seen worse!  I think I can tweak things in a bit better ( doors/bonnet in the vertical plane.

The boot is really puzzling, maybe it was packed out?  it's 8 or 9 years since I took the tub off and at the time I wouldn't know what to expect ie. what is correct or not?so maybe I forgot, I wonder if it's the chassis or the body?  it's pretty much the same gap on both sides. 

DSCN6342.JPG

DSCN6343.JPG

DSCN6345.JPG

DSCN6344.JPG

She' one again!!!!

Yes I know the edge around the back of the hood is scabby......that's the next job! I'm going over to VRS paint matching tomorrow for a few rattle cans of colour matched cellulose, I'm afraid a full paint job is a couple of years away!!

It's few days of filler, wet and dry and aerosols now!!

DSCN6346.JPG

• Like 1

its when the top of the B post wings spread makes the bottom of the doors  proud and stick outwards no hinge  adjustment will cure the mismatch 

you will see a good few examples easily spotted when following that the bottom half of the door is well proud . can also make the boot lid width a tight fit 

as when the front spreads outward the rear closes inboard

Pete

Definitely better than my first attempt...

4A0CE18D-1302-4BFA-BCF6-2DAC9975050F_1_105_c.jpg.26a0cf5ea1656621a7bc94b97b9a64fe.jpg

The door is as far forward as it will go, with quite a gap from the bonnet. The passenger side is slightly better but the captive plate for the lower hinge was playing silly bu&&ers so it had to be removed again. The bulkhead will require to be shimmed up and forward - today's job - then I'll see how things go. It's a difficult job for one.

Underneath, the rearmost mounting is well up off the chassis, although none of the rear tub mounts have been fully tightened yet. I'll have to stop chipping paint!

I think my tub has spread slightly, one door at least is out at the bottom, but I'll try to get them to fit first then see where things are.

4DEC5D07-A7F6-4DDA-A5C3-F4163618310C_1_105_c.jpg

I'm sure you'll get there in the end Colin, yes I had that problem with my passenger side rear mount. I kind of suspected an issue when working on the chassis, All my measurement indicated it was low like yours. It has been replaced in the past so it looks like someone got it a bit low, I almost bit he bullet, cut it an lifted it but I wasn't 100% sure of my measurements and was not in a position to offer the tub up, there were so many variables at that point too so I just left it.................should have trusted my instinct/measurements as it looks like they were correct.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Cheers Pete, yes it's always had those cappings?

What is Tub spread?

2FCE9DA3-E4A3-4B1F-84EC-E27F612FFD89_1_105_c.jpg.fad3319d430926de86f386d5c4950b53.jpg

Tub spread. It always has to happen to me. That's a job for a couple of mates and me, once I work out if it's both sides, and what to attach straps to in the Estate without banjaxing anything beyond repair.

BTW Pete.... cheap body clamps:

36DB371B-372E-449A-BDC6-6CE35B7B3AB3_1_105_c.jpg.e47d1966b273b2bbc4d53cbbdc24353f.jpg

Yes those clamps do look a bit on the flimsy side, I on initial inspection I thought mine were a little weedy but they were ok as the nut is weld in, just to make sure I dropped a bit more weld onto mine.

So the cure for Tub spread is to just squeeze it back together? I think mine survived it's 8 yrs off the chassis as I stored it on it's side on an old mattress, not that I knew anything about tub spread at the time just because it took up less space in the garage.

I've done a permanent cure for tub spread on my pick-up conversion.... the waist rails are bracketed to the roll-over bar, they're not going anywhere!    

My bodywork was reasonably easy to line up after religiously rebuilding the chassis to the workshop dimensions and tolerances.

_IGP0024.JPG