Mk3 GT6 Fascia removal

Doctor slow

I'm embarrassed, again! I'm still trying to sort out my hazard switch, and it looks like i've got to remove the right hand fascia to remove the switch. Only trouble is I cannot find anything  that holds the fascia onto the bodywork. I've looked everywhere on this site, and indeed every other site I can think of, and nowhere does it tell me how to actually do this. There must presumably be some screws or bolts somewhere, but I can neither see nor feel them. I think I must be missing something obvious, here, so please make me look dim, and tell me.

There are captive bolts on metal plates screwed to the wood and which then bolt through the metal backing, and fitted with nuts in behind. On the Mk3 left hand panel I think there are two, one below and right of the eyeball vent, and one out near the point of the left edge. They're quite small but with the glove box cover removed you should be able to both feel them and get access.

I've seen references to the dash being held in by the choke knob fitting, the wiper switch, and possibly the gauge clamps (depending how neatly they're fitted). There may also be a screw that's only accessible once you remove the centre section?  Some comments on TRexp - all US based so left/right swapped

17 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I've seen references to the dash being held in by the choke knob fitting, the wiper switch, and possibly the gauge clamps (depending how neatly they're fitted). There may also be a screw that's only accessible once you remove the centre section?  Some comments on TRexp - all US based so left/right swapped

It might even be easier just to remove one of the gauges - rev counter might be easier - and work through the aperture, or the central dash section and lean in around the speedo to push the switch out. The switch looks quite strange, no surround to it which may mean that it's held in place from behind. The choke cable goes through the dash but if the knob is removable then once it and the silver bezel are removed the dash should pull off over it. It's certainly not the easiest switch to access.

Doug - if only it were that simple. The new ones are, as you say just held in with those clips. The original ones are held in by some kind of metal frame which is screwed or bolted to the back of the fascia - maybe through the metal backing. 

it's impossible to get fingers behind the fascia far enough to reach the speedo or rev counter clamps  -tried that. I'm just wondering if brute force is the answer - just wrench the #### thing out regardless of damage to the switch. I intend to replace it with a new push in ones anyway. But, of course this may damage the fascia.

23 minutes ago, Doctor slow said:

I'm just wondering if brute force is the answer

Never fails! I've seen the arrangement you describe and the screws are of necessity tiny. If you intend to replace it anyway I would suggest a screw driver under the frame and some leverage will pull the screws out with no damage to the facia.

Doug

Doug - ah yes, but i'll be trying this from the front of the fascia. Your post suggests  that you're working at the back of the fascia? I think I will have to destroy the switch from the front, piece by piece and then retrieve the wiring - Such fun! Might just disconnect the battery first (!), and mask up the fascia very thoroughly. 

• Haha 1

If it's the same as a Spit, there's the hidden rearward facing stud as mentioned, which is the top RH corner. Then there's the hidden bracket top LH corner. To gain access to the bracket you have to remove the centre dash section - four visible screws. Then, as already mentioned, you have the choke (bottom LH corner) which doubles as a dash retainer. I think that's it - a fixing in each of the three corners.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Richard

For the later style dash (so Mk IV/1500 Spitfire and I think Mk2/Mk3 GT6):

Passenger side panel is held in by:
 - Nuts/captive bolts from the facia panel/through the dash frame.  One or near the door end, the other about 1/3 up from the bottom/2" in from the middle.
 - The centre dash panel top mounting screw.
 - And on a GT6 the eyeball vent.

The drivers side panel is held in by:
 - A nut/captive bolt at the top, about 3" from the door end.
 - The choke cable (you need to withdraw the inner)
 - The centre dash panel top mounting screw.
 - All the buttons and gauges.
 - And on a GT6 the eyeball vent.

Not that I'm in the middle of reveneering them so have them stripped and sat about 2m away from my computer or anything... :)

12 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Not that I'm in the middle of reveneering them so have them stripped and sat about 2m away from my computer or anything... :)

Ha ha! My wife re-coated mine - the advantage of being married to a restorer of antique furniture. I haven't got around to installing yet so was also able to refer to them easily!

22 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin, there was a clue in my picture. 🤣

switch2.PNG.c11543f2cd3bee0e1518ff905915f031.PNG 

db

That's not exactly the correct switch :) 

The original comes through from behind and has no surround, just the wooden aperture, suggesting it's attached from behind and so doesn't push in / pull out from the front.

cockpit7.jpg.d24dbb99041a70e62e0a9c990c142579.jpg

41 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

It is on mine! I have a mk3, yours is much older I think? :)

Doug

I don't have one!! MK1s weren't reckoned to be a hazard. :)

It's years since I had a MK3, sold my last one in 2000, so was going by photos on the Net, none of which were great - it's amazing how many irrelevant photos come up if you search Triumph GT6 Mk3 dashboard. Even worse if you take safesearch off... 😮

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

It may be what you have fitted but it's not the original. My Mk3 has the type Colin found.

NM,

“Oh yes it is!” 😆 I can only assume this is another late mk3, anomaly. As I’ve discovered they were the end of the line and built with bits from the spares box.

Mine’s the same switch as when I bought it in 1978. I suppose it could have been change before that, but I can’t imagine why.

Doug