Replacement doors . Vitesse mk2 saloon

Paul H

Purchased these from a chicken shed just 2 miles from where I live . Full of triumph bits . The matching doors are from a Vitesse . They are solid with just some surface rust . The only downside is one of them has been dropped and will need some work . 

Plan is to restore, so I can still use my Vitesse 

I added some black tape to highlight the quarter light markings 04CB9E1B-BCC8-41E4-9E77-FD6A5BF1BFBA.thumb.jpeg.df77be047d6e69a88151b450625df579.jpeg

E5DF5FDA-D1AA-415D-A8D0-A889078158F1.thumb.jpeg.66c5554df75c300902c148ea13b72bb3.jpeg

Paul 

The door cards are cleaning up nicely and better condition than the ones currently on the Vitesse. The winder pin is out but won’t move so oiling to assist as don’t want to crack the winder . I’m missing the “button” as per the pic . Anybody know where they can be obtained looks like the button clips over a claw bracket 

950F403F-8A6C-40AA-A9AB-D3A1BDB24ADC.thumb.jpeg.5c1abd05586942e3d19eaa9eeba96dfb.jpeg

FDFB8DF6-29AA-4945-92C5-A6CD248182C9.thumb.jpeg.7436de349637fdefd0990016b8218d1d.jpeg

Paul

The handles are off with an overnight soak of wd40 and starting to remove mechanisms. I found some wadding covered in thick plastic  at the bottom of the door so guess this was for sound deadening . The vinyl door covering is in great shape with all the retaining clips though the hardboard will need replacing which is handy as the Club were selling these for a £1 each a couple of years ago so picked up a  couple .

55489C8C-A94C-4258-9B06-0F8B5FE0A114.thumb.jpeg.1f3443627591da1572a1bb21fd84b79b.jpeg

I’ll either put the wadding back or more likely replace with SilentCoat deadening sheets  . One casualty is the short chrome strip which goes between the quarter light and the door . The WSM says it’s a “finisher waist-forward inner” I’m sure it’s not available though asking if there is modern replacement or a work around 

1569B083-6C23-4D93-9367-5ACD709F8D3E.thumb.jpeg.1819f0ee1334df79a96a33159bcf885b.jpeg

is this strip common to Heralds or just to the Vitesse 

Paul 

55 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

inner seal 608288  available canley   cut it down to fit under the NDV   would that work 

one would do two doors 

Pete

I don't think this will fit Pete, the original finisher is narrower and from memory simply wedges between the door and Quarter light.

Way back in the early 1980's I managed to get a full set of Inner and Outer weather strips and finishers from my local Leyland dealer, Service Motors

The short Finisher next to the quarter light isn't vital and on a Vitesse you don't see it anyway, it's hidden by the door capping?  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

I don't think this will fit Pete, the original finisher is narrower and from memory simply wedges between the door and Quarter light.

Way back in the early 1980's I managed to get a full set of Inner and Outer weather strips and finishers from my local Leyland dealer, Service Motors

The short Finisher next to the quarter light isn't vital and on a Vitesse you don't see it anyway, it's hidden by the door capping?  

Thanks for your input and you are correct . The finisher slots between the quarter light and the door and is completely covered by the wooden door capping . The gap will need to be sealed to prevent water ingress so looking at using a sealant .

Paul 

• Like 1

Still removing the door internals marking everything to assist with reassembly after spraying . Removing the clips which hold the operating arms to the window channel base was interesting to say the least . The WSM says remove the 2 clips . The trouble is you can’t see them as they face the door . The answer was to use a small mirror plus torch to see what needed to be done . The clips might might need to be reoriented to gain access with a small screwdriver  The purple ring is the mirror 
A38A3BA4-F96A-480C-923A-99C784D24096.thumb.jpeg.1307a43bdbffc0471a522c3b0389f7aa.jpeg

2D514FD7-1860-466E-980C-CA9784E16E92.thumb.jpeg.7db8190275f1f9e387f5d7789f02ff5c.jpeg

This is what the clip looks like 

FBE16681-CB64-4E98-B177-9B9F603CE6AC.thumb.jpeg.2aae3af34972490a8d31906394e3d532.jpeg

Paul 

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

they are easier to refit than removing , once you get the hang of the push shove twist fight ping they are easy 

there should be  felt leather anti rattle washer in there as well  which needs to be oiled /greased 

pete

Thanks Pete , the leather washers are there but struggling to remove the window , feels like I’ve forgotten to remove a bracket or something 

Paul 

you need the ndv frame to be out or adrift ,

the channels on the rear of the carcass might need undoing

I replaced all mine , made sketches and reassembled brackets to the channels ,every time got it wrong .devious little sods 

hope your's  have some felt left , if you do have to refurb you need a short tube or extension pop rivet nozzle to fit inside  the channel  

Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

you need the ndv frame to be out or adrift ,

the channels on the rear of the carcass might need undoing

I replaced all mine , made sketches and reassembled brackets to the channels ,every time got it wrong .devious little sods 

hope your's  have some felt left , if you do have to refurb you need a short tube or extension pop rivet nozzle to fit inside  the channel  

Pete

Window out now , slid a steel rule to slide over obstructions like kinked rubber from window base . No poly attached to window , so somebody has been here before me . There is felt in the channels though rough. Now struggling with Quarter light and the bracket is stopping progress 

Paul 

10 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

need to sort of lift and roll the lower bracket out of the dropglass aperture

i bought replacement silent channel from bill at rarebits4classics in a 6ft length  but he is not fully trading now , does abit on FB 

Pete

Got the QL out in the end. Seen Rarebits FB and channel isn’t there . Replacement will be necessary . If I cannot remove intact the spring assembly on the air conditioning window what are the options.

88D24D49-557E-40E8-BEA9-208C0990375B.thumb.jpeg.fbab6e10a76766e938e4fddd78811103.jpeg

Paul 

39 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

need to sort of lift and roll the lower bracket out of the dropglass aperture

i bought replacement silent channel from bill at rarebits4classics in a 6ft length  but he is not fully trading now , does abit on FB 

Pete

Canleys sell the silent channel , the rear channel looks like its felt glued in so no metal framework 

Paul 

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

Seen Rarebits FB and channel isn’t there . Replacement will be necessary . If I cannot remove intact the spring assembly on the air conditioning window what are the options.

Paul 

Same channel used on classics such as Landrover and VW so don't get ripped off buying the 'Triumph' part; chances are it's just the same with £££s added on for 'overheads'. Woolies seem to be very good at present.

https://www.rubbertrim.co.uk/product/t83-window-channel/

https://www.rubbertrim.co.uk/product-category/window-weatherstrips-channels/window-channels/

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/341/single-track

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the stud is not the strongest part of the vent , do be careful they can shear off if the nut is rusted solid ,

why do you need the remove it ,   for new rubbers or painting  ???????????

Pete

Painting ,  hopefully rubbers are ok as new ones apart from being expensive don’t fit well . I’m going to hacksaw the nut now 

Paul 

3 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Painting ,  hopefully rubbers are ok as new ones apart from being expensive don’t fit well . I’m going to hacksaw the nut now 

Paul 

Make sure of the thread before you do; I can't remember it off-hand but it might be a hard one to replace. Best be sure!

What are you doing about the top rivet on the little hinge?

The door is now fully stripped to component parts with the quarter light out and top rivet removed . Next job is to kill the internal rust in the door and add a protective coating using Bilthamber products though not sure which products to use yet 

The rear window channel has a layer of felt which is passed its best. Any ideas where this can be sourced ?

7B670A28-15CD-4FB1-A753-7B8D81993F84.thumb.jpeg.fba6fe2bf1c7fd5e3104432098e11bcc.jpeg

Paul 

On 14/07/2020 at 17:41, Paul H said:

I’m missing the “button” as per the pic . Anybody know where they can be obtained looks like the button clips over a claw bracket 

Hi Paul. Do you mean the ones that covers the self tappers, each side of map pocket?. If so, I was chatting to a Guy at Moss who said they had something like that for Spits, though I don't know if it's the same?. I think Herald 13/60 used them as well.

I need one (and the claw fastener) myself.

Spit Graveyard must have lot of old trim bits. I keep forgetting to ask as them, when I buy something off them.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper