New fuel pump fitted on Spitfire 1300 MKIV causing leak

ScottMk

Hi all, I replaced my fuel pump as the diaphragm looked to be weeping (see pic). With the new fuel pump installed fuel leaks from the float breather holes. I fitted the old pump back on again and the breathers do not leak. This is telling me the fuel pump is putting out to much pressure. Has anyone else come across this?

2EDD598A-742A-4585-9FA0-4C405725FFBE.jpeg

If you look at the witness marks of blackened fuel residue that actually looks to be blowing back from the inlet pipe; it starts around the screw-in connector and continues across the top, well above the diaphragm, before running down to the horizontal surface. I'd try to clean the old pump up and address the leak at the inlet.

There's currently a thread on here concerning the wrong type of pumps being currently supplied that are putting out too much fuel:

I had to replace a cracked olive several years ago on the pump inlet. The outlet I've always had to gorilla down allowing for the alloy pump body

Recently I upgraded to a Facet cube elect pump in the boot and on closer examination of the old mech pump outlet pipe the olive has seriously crimped/swaged down into the steel pipe such that the pipe will have to be replaced, I initially thought the pipe might have been cracked the swaging was so severe. I have soldered the olives on before today to ensure they are sealed to the pipe.

For interest the elect pump setup has a drowned or positive suction the Vitesse/Herald fuel tank drain has been modified so the outlet pipe passes through it rather than the normal Triumph tank outlet thro the top! Facet pumps specify a max of 13in negative suction and they are dead on, using the original thro top outlet pipe would have been line ball! 

When I get up I'll attach a photo of the modified tank outlet

6 hours ago, ScottMk said:

A cracked Olive, where do I find these? Can’t find them listed on Moss or Rimmers

7CB35D2C-7E13-48AB-9F1F-B5F16F2689F2.jpeg

The olive has split because the pipe has two olives on it and the one that has split has been forced over the other one - just remove the split olive and the pipe should seal properly, unless the other olive has also been damaged.

Yeah I noticed that, I removed the second olive but the 1st one is damaged also. I have ordered a new olive from James Paddock, better to be safe than sorry. 
Thank you for all the comments so far, great amount of knowledge here

I know what you mean Pete, it’s the things that aren’t visible that worry me. I have been over the whole car and most seems okay. Found an issue with the dash lights but I’ll post that in the electrical section.