Unknown large spring clip found???

Jeffds1360

????? I do have or have had those type of clips in kitchen and bathroom but mine were bright and shiny! This retainer is ancient,  probably nearly 50 years old :)

oh well, I'll put it somewhere safe... until something drops off!!?

I do not have the strength to start on hub removal, I've tried but my old back is knacked and my old back street garage contacts will be searched out ( if they are still in business!)

do not remove the hub without the proper puller or you bend the hub  .

a lot easier to drop the trunion complete with  shaft/ hub and   brakes     a   re bleed is much easier than getting a stubborn hub of the shaft and then have to get the shaft pressed out the bearings and pressed back on again.

pete

That is what I meant Pete, I am going to remove the shaft and hub but I'm struggling even to get the shocker bolt off, never mind the leaf spring and anti roll bar. I do not want to resort to a large hammer so I'm going to have to pay a competent mechanic to do the heavy stuff :( .

Hope it is all worth while. I want to get this car up and running properly. Lets hope the pension locks are not interfered with!!

No holiday this year :)

That clip could be from the steering rack gaiter, o/s inner, next to grease nipple!!!??? Mine has cable tie on it now but possible it has been lying about, trapped somewhere for years.???

Also found an earth wire  attached under the steering rack grease nipple but is slack and rotates.?? If this is a bad connection, what will not work?

My only non functioning item is the temperature gauge 

Yes, you could be right on the gaiter.

The earth wire under the rack grease nipple is to earth the rack so that it can earth the column (link wire across the UJ) so that the horn push works. If it's there but loose you are more likely to get intermittent horn problems than complete loss.

a wire clip like that will never hold the rack gaitor orig was a soft wire twisted up to grip the gaitor after market use cable ties or similar 

not a bent end wire clip os small diameter   down lighters have a better possibility that a steering rack 

the earth from the greaser plug should  be tight and  other end bolted to engine block or chassis or ...both 

as Rob says this cmpletes the horn earth down the column  the rack on rubbers wont earth well thro its tie rods and suspen  units so a earth link here is essential to earth you tooters 

Pete