changing gearbox/overdrive oil

MJH2454

I'm going to change the oil in my gearbox and overdrive, I have no idea if it has ever been changed and at 50,000 miles seems like a good idea. The question is should I also change the filters in the overdrive unit? How difficult is it to change them and can I do it with the gearbox/overdrive in place?

The overdrive is working flawlessly at the moment, so should I leave well enough alone with the overdrive?

Thanks

if a D type i would remove the filter cover ( passenger side)  the filter sits inside  just pulls out, it will be a gungy, so will the 3 magnetic rings that are removable give it all a clean in 

white spirit  or brake cleaner , even petrol  whatever you tend use , dont overtighen the cover its a simple cork gasket .that will crush .

Pete

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but would this oil be the correct grade? I plan to renew the fluid in the differential and transmission and would like to know how many litres I should order.

https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/gear-oil-gl4-sae-85w-90-1.html

20016.jpg

Correct grade, yes. Would I buy that? no, as I don't like the sound of the moly bit.

An EP 80, 90, or  80-90 (which is what I have been using for almost 30 years now) but needs to be GL4 in the gearbox, GL4 or confirmed yellow-metal safe GL5 in the diff. 

As to capacity, diff is a pint I think, gearbox about 1 1/2 pints for non-od, just over 2 pints for OD.

Best to buy 5L, plus an oil syringe to get the oil out the diff, and refill it.

You won't get much better than this (unless racing/trackdays)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils-EP-80w-90-GL4-Gear-Oil-80W90-GL-4-Transmission-Fluid-5-Litres-5L/274386977181?epid=6013647521&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3fe2bd019d:g:pFwAAOxyJX1TF0vP&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkY3FSd4Ad8xn3oRtkVexxrIFg514ZGommKIh5qYwKE2naOaqSxTEYPfcsV9kkXqopHAXk88ADMA947YLUl7B8k5kBjuTT96%2FXeN1Ih1W99r4Xv7XJLC41PtambNpg8B7bnD%2F2zjDjcPBfzulojN2Ls3zQPDnpY1EPQXPoB8MDfnzzdOGkBty9SLDassPvRmo59SmSDbd73FrXmRmVMmlgu1GntoVc%2FvCEMObgjrOT5hJpWx87UXaVas0A0OouLTAM0tgzT%2BnKPZOR7nfVCeR%2FdxJep7zfQsUV5%2FKRWrBNF7t5OY61JFBICNJK%2F1%2F92NntUn%2BUT50F7OAexlJuAzSGtP7m0X%2FDN9OdilnMu6qi16YhCZqf%2B6dRd%2FJ4bXERojx1E1no9O8MweQFFSeOS0Shv%2F%2FyAXYZKeCtz0wNRSS2LRWR6Tk5Wyn6j0r%2FE%2F2Qt5pef2BfElHHMt0yAFJ1IVzsQepMwoL8FBwMnYH%2B%2BkZxLNJW9771wZAY0fccZKP2u5j%2BSmTxPaq3g7sZTQ1NeAvUc9qPzpWrCUdSyVfP7PforCEnwb48a%2FwqCda2T2XxjQAJHDKs2eGMuQAi6w2vODpo%2BqQQ5TkANFkNzqkTfPtxWPnVr6s1EKeQSvr2DiOgyIGmA1HzwmrdPN%2FuIhJy0Yg51lZiAPQfZ5tur6RnbdzjYDilQdUfwR%2BbjwczbWSwB1qJeTkQpQVJmcUAMCHeS7DIIF56uYogHrvqzdxb%2BrlYGZqQwkwrb5V57HX9nEq0exXiy7ZWxk2EpKPG12lWLsPeGA%3D%3D|cksum%3A274386977181bcb6e77945224f1fbe34e831fef823d1|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

• Like 1

Thanks! I use Valvoline VR1 20W50 in the engine as it has an excellent reputation and high Zinc content. 

Liqui moly also has an excellent reputation in the German car scene, including my vehicles, but I prefer purchasing the community recommend oil. Sounds like you’re saying that Miller’s is it and nothing else comes close?

any addative  oils  is bad news for the syncro and especially the overdrive  dont want any slippery addatives 

laycock specify engine oils for the overdrive but Triumph have a concession to use ep90 as the gearbox is going to fight for life if using engine oils 

many other marques do use engine oils in the gearbox but not triumph

if youre worried about diff life fill with a    EP140 GL4 many use that in the diff with better noise suppression

Pete

On 21/07/2020 at 16:49, Waynebaby said:

From my own messy experience, I'd recommend that you take the filter cover off AFTER draining the gearbox oil!

Wayne

Yep, got that (oil soaked) t-shirt too.

Always turn your head away when removing sump plugs or other 'oil retaining' items too - I've yet to taste a motor oil that's splashed on to my face and into my mouth that I liked the taste of.🤢

15 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Always turn your head away when removing sump plugs or other 'oil retaining' items too - I've yet to taste a motor oil that's splashed on to my face and into my mouth that I liked the taste of.🤢

You're sure - definitely, positively sure - that the oil is all drained and the sump is empty, then you remove something and gallons pour out. It takes an amazing amount of old towels or kitchen roll to mop up even a pint. Been there!

Re the diff oil - Paddocks are selling a diff oil, Dynolite, that's 85 - 140 which they reckon is a good replacement. Used in Maseratis and Jaguars according to Moss.

3 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Thanks! I use Valvoline VR1 20W50 in the engine as it has an excellent reputation and high Zinc content. 

Liqui moly also has an excellent reputation in the German car scene, including my vehicles, but I prefer purchasing the community recommend oil. Sounds like you’re saying that Miller’s is it and nothing else comes close?

Millers is good, others will be essentially the same. I would happily use all sorts of makes, but I was keeping it simple!

If you are happy with VR1, you will be happy with my recommendation. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 11:09, Colin Lindsay said:

You're sure - definitely, positively sure - that the oil is all drained and the sump is empty, then you remove something and gallons pour out.

It's likewise amazing how much water remains in the engine block...when you've drained the radiator but forgotten to remove the block drain plug before removing the head...😞