Brake pedal - very long travel before brakes operate

badgerspitfire

Yep, mine are Type 14s.  Neither calliper had any markings or labels to identify them.   I've sent my old callipers via the TSSC Shop to get them refurbed.   I thought about trying to sort them but didn't want to take any risks when it comes to braking systems.  I'd hate to have an incident one day for the sake of a calliper refurb.   If the refurbed callipers fix the problem I'll see if I can send the 'new' ones back, or at least put a note on the forum letting people know about a potential problem with 'new' type 14s.  

Hi all,

I've been watching this thread as I have the same symptoms. There is an article in the Oct. 2019 Courier mag, p.16, on this subject and I had been thinking of following it - the advice it to remove the pads and put something a little thinner in place and pump the brakes, well that is a sort of summary. 

I have been away for 3 weeks and left the brake pedal wedged on to see if this had any effect, i.e. the seals giving a little. Well I have been out in the car and it seems better, not perfect but less travel. I want to get the rear brakes adjusted to see if this also reduces the travel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just despatched a Spitfire off home with its' owner after a complete brake rebuild and the pedal pressure is woeful. I was so worried about it I took it back inside this morning and rebuilt the rear brakes again then rebled the system. New type 14 calipers, discs and pads, new stainless front hoses, some of the pipes remade, and new master cylinder. I couldn't believe how poor the pedal feel is. The rears are adjusted as tight as free movement will allow. I'm hoping that as the front pads bed in the feel will improve, as Pete says on page 1. The old calipers were seized on one side but I may yet rebuild them, just in case it is the fault of the new calipers and doesn't go away in a short time.