Broken uj roller bearing!

Jeffds1360

one more spot you have some long bolts in there are the ends on the long ones making contact with the yoke ?????

and on secondhaand shafts there is a problem of unwinding the torsional twist memory they take on  with the back plates i guess the hand is controlled but fit a 

eg   fit RH to a  LH  side and the shaft can develop a crack which soon works its way across the whole shaft diameter and you get a nice clean  ..fracture  and  Kaboom !!!

Pete

The seal cover looks OK to me - possibly a very small ding on it but not enough to cause a problem. There's some muck on there, which suggests there's no contact with anything or that would have been scraped off.

Pete's right that the flange bolts are a tad longer than ideal but I don't think they're long enough to make contact within the normal operating range of the UJ.

Since your wooden stethoscope suggested the noise was from the hub, I still think that's where we need to be looking.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

one more spot you have some long bolts in there are the ends on the long ones making contact with the yoke ?????

Pete

I did suggest that earlier Pete, and there is one longer than the other in the video. Which could make that noise? Easy enough to remove and try without it in.

Tony

Had a close look at bolts. .... it is not them. Thanks for suggesting though. 

Look at the picture :)................... I've managed to sort the shoe, boy those springs are getting stronger! (or maybe me getting weaker.??)

Quick question... long and short shafts....mine will be short yea? The ones I'm looking to buy of E bay are hardly used, been in storage for 30 years so hopefully no torsion build up :)

Late Mk-iv& all 1500 spits are long?

My shaft measures 11" of straight,  yoke to trunnion,  is that right?

Why did she boil over at tick over yesterday? Rads full, fan goes!!

20200822_145218.jpg

Well I bought the pair off Ebay. They have ancient uj's with omega shape circlips and feel solid BUT the o/s uj has a snapped off grease nipple!

I cannot tap it out so I'll have to use my new uj and flange...again! Also of course, swap my brake parts over.

Hope you all enjoyed the 'holiday's and I'll let you know how it goes.