123 distributor!

haggis

Hi guys, following my Mis-fire saga over the last few months Ive decided to buy a 123/Tune dizzy for the GT6, before I press the 'Proceed with Order' button and pay the money over thought i might ask the forum their thoughts on these. Have you fitted one? is there a general consensus that are a good bit of kit? 

Now one other question, my car has late Vitesse Engine and runs a 22D6 lucas distributor with Tacho (i know I will have to convert this) but does anyone know the correct Dizzy number? Im not sure whether the one I have fitted came from this car. 

Thanks Again.

hag 

Bought one, sold it again; I've no idea if it improved anything but out of the hundreds of advance curves they advertise, bear in mind you'll only use one... I replaced it with a rebuilt Delco version that I sent to H+H for refurbishment, they added electronic ignition, and it runs perfectly. I just don't know if the 123 was worth the extra expense.

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

The programmable one is the only one worth getting, the preset ones are always a compromise.

Yes, but you need a rolling road session to fully optimise the advance curve.

That said, I set the programmable Amethyst ignition on my GT6 to the advanced end of the range of advance figures given in the official workshop manual. On the rolling road, that actually proved very close to ideal.

Nigel

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Bought one, sold it again; I've no idea if it improved anything but out of the hundreds of advance curves they advertise, bear in mind you'll only use one... I replaced it with a rebuilt Delco version that I sent to H+H for refurbishment, they added electronic ignition, and it runs perfectly. I just don't know if the 123 was worth the extra expense.

SNAP!

Aidan

On 26/09/2020 at 12:19, thescrapman said:

The programmable one is the only one worth getting, the preset ones are always a compromise.

^^^^ This!

On 26/09/2020 at 14:15, Nigel Clark said:

Yes, but you need a rolling road session to fully optimise the advance curve.

That said, I set the programmable Amethyst ignition on my GT6 to the advanced end of the range of advance figures given in the official workshop manual. On the rolling road, that actually proved very close to ideal.

Yes, pretty much.  If you start by programming the curve to match the factory mechanical and vacuum figures, you'll be close-ish.  The factory full load (wide open throttle, so mechanical advance only) figures will probably not be improved on if the engine is standard.  However, you should be able to find substantial gains in torque and pinking elimination for part throttle conditions as the vacuum advance is crude and limited.  This will be much easier and quicker to achieve on a rolling road than by seat of the pant's trial and error, but you can get most of the way there without the RR if you know what you are doing.  Even with the standard figures loaded you should get better results than the old clockwork stuff as it's more stable and accurate. The distributorless systems with trigger wheel and coil pack are better yet as they measure crank position directly, but somewhat more effort to install.

Nick

Thanks Nick, kind of what I thought really, I don't really know what I'm doing, but will no doubt learn the hard way, just looking for reliability and as good as it gets for a standard cam engine. The Tune+ version has an immobilizer built in that you can use with your phone, thought that was a very good idea for security. 

Just got to work out the funds now, with converting the speedo and getting the standard curve installed by 123, its coming in at around £550.00, is it really worth it??? 🤔

Thanks

Hag

Hello Hag,

The other option is to have your dizzy rebuilt by Martin Jay (Distributor Doctor) who will match your spec to the correct advance curve.

Decently priced IMHO.

Just had my Daimler dizzy fully rebuilt by Martin - he discovered it had an interesting vacuum advance attached to it - from a TR6 !!

I should add he only deals with Lucas distributors.

Regards.

Richard.

if you need to match the curve to the std, you are surely best to get a recon from Dizzy doc or H & H  or club and use the cash for a weekend away 

balance  the cost by your anticipated miles per year to get a handle on should I   and  whats to gain

standard settings    might just   be a big hole in the wallet and you use the car to go shopping , not touring europe   

back to utopia or sensibility   

Pete

• Like 1