GT6 Door caps

rulloyd

The only available door caps for a GT6 these days are (I think) Spitfire caps that have no padding.  My plan is to add foam.  But I noticed that Rimmers sell the caps for around £8 more each than Paddocks.  I presume thats because they are a rip off, not because they are better quality.  Anyone here know?

I have cheaper Paddocks ones and like many parts are not worth the £18 each.

Wooden ones are an option for a different time.

Many thanks

Rich

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

At over £200 I'd agree!

Park Lane Classics appear to be offering a kit for £9.50, if I've read their webpage correctly? Part number 300-014.

http://parklaneclassics.co.uk/product_300-014.htm

Thanks for teh tip.  Apparently his kits are a strip of vinyl and the glue :-(.    The Vinyl is stuck to the actual door - which on the pic looks pretty good!  Personally I'm more likely to use the cheap plastic ones but add foam underneath to pad it out.

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Owen at Park Lane does leather Spitfire/GT6 door caps as well but you have to ask, they are not on his list. I don't know how good they are though, but his leather seat covers are excellent

I guess that he provides a strip of leather instead of Vinyl!  I talked to him earlier and he doesn't use any kind of moulding.  Nice guy, had a good chat!

4 hours ago, NonMember said:

I fitted the Paddocks ones on my Spitfire and I agree that the quality leaves a little to be desired. You're probably better off buying a small amount of vinyl from Park Lane or similar and making your own, especially if you're going to pad them with foam.

Thanks.  They are not great but they do provide some shape.   So I will probably pad them inside with soft foam, possibly cover them.

I'm assuming the more expensive Rimmers caps are exactly the same.

39 minutes ago, rulloyd said:

Thanks.  They are not great but they do provide some shape.

Which is a benefit if the shape they provide is the right shape. I found it wasn't - too short, I think. They're also semi-stiff and therefore likely to be less tolerant of being padded than the Park Lane "just a bit of vinyl" option. You will need to clip and glue, whichever way you go.

7 hours ago, NonMember said:

Which is a benefit if the shape they provide is the right shape. I found it wasn't - too short, I think. They're also semi-stiff and therefore likely to be less tolerant of being padded than the Park Lane "just a bit of vinyl" option. You will need to clip and glue, whichever way you go.

The plastic cap is asking to be filled with foam as it is raised from the door plate.  I tried it off the car and 1/2" soft foam makes it look 'full' closer to the original GT6.  But I havn't tried it on a door - so if it doesn't fit anyway, perhaps some foam straight on to the door, covered in vinyl is the answer.  I'll experiment and see what looks best. 😉

Cappings could be a candidate for 3d printing. Print in a variety of colours and even surface textures. The old Spitfire ones that I have hanging around the garage are very thin pressed/moulded plastic, very fragile off the door, and were (I haven't checked the current prices), an absolute fortune for what they were.

NB. Just followed Gully's link.... They ARE an absolute fortune for what they are.

10 hours ago, Graham C said:

Were not the original door caps in the late GT6 and spitfire thin hard plastic moulded to the extract shape of the door?

Graham

Later ones certainly were, as they have a moulded dimple at one end which fits into the line of the A post / screen pillar. My early Mk1 is just stick-on leatherette or grained vinyl (whatever the proper name is!) to cover the bare paintwork and while the doors have the same profile it's just pressed down in rather than pre-moulded.

11 hours ago, Graham C said:

Were not the original door caps in the late GT6 and spitfire thin hard plastic moulded to the extract shape of the door?

Graham

They are certainly moulded on my early Mk III, with the material being a thin, semi-rigid, vinyl-effect plastic. After 50 years, they are a little brittle!

Gully

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So now I look at the doors, I see that there  is absolutely no point in buying the plastic door caps now generally available from all the main suppliers including Newton.  They all seem to be the same one which is terrible quality and too short.   

In the end I have simply covered the door section myself in Vinyl over a thin layer of foam which has come out great.  When I’m finished I’ll post a pic. 👍👍

• Like 1