Petrol Cap refurb

Paul H

Hi stopped using the lockable petrol cap on my Vitesse as the sealing rubber had perished . Just had a go at replacing the sealing washer . Turned out to be easier than I thought . Remove the securing pin at the top , remove the workings . The seal can now be removed . I made another with 2 layers of inner tube glued together . Reassemble job done 

97FE228A-8F78-4EED-B48A-8932342F7A70.thumb.jpeg.0e7715109ca6bd7dd37c8375e8b39d17.jpeg

Petrol cap rubbers are subject to mot check . 
Paul 

3 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Just wondering if inner tubes are petrol resistant and won't get melted by fumes/full tank?.

Dave

I’ll let you know 😱

Pretty sure the new seal will be ok . To be sure I’ll put a section of inner tube in a jar of petrol and leave 

Paul 

21 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I’ll let you know 😱

Pretty sure the new seal will be ok . To be sure I’ll put a section of inner tube in a jar of petrol and leave 

Paul 

If it's not ok Paul, if you have any oil filters about with a rubber seal on them? They work on fuel caps. My 2500 had the same problem and it's been on a couple of years now.

Tony.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Don,t forget it needs to vent,that`s probably what that V in the old one is,i have the same on my Vitesse,without the vent it`s breakdown time.

The V is a split !! 
I did use the cap before but stopped when it was mot time . I will check to make sure there’s no vacuum

Paul 

Steve ,,,,,there's always One    Ha !!!

with all the variety of caps nothings cast in stone 

when roll over leaks became legal they introduced a small plastic  tit one way vent valve but storing vans with only a gallon of fuel in 

in this allowed a unhelpful bias of vacuum or pressure the cool nights  allowed air in and filled the empty  volume , then when sun came out and warmed the air expanded the out come was 

the pressure would rebuild  after every evening and morning over come the fuel pump and carb needles and fill the sump with petrol

the answer was to cut the tip off the valve .... bright ideas with disaster looming

Pete