Problem solved!!! High tickover

Jeffds1360

Have a look at this and tell me that you can't see what I can't see.

What a wally the PO must have been

I suppose they ate about £50 at Rimmers ?

Wonder if I can replace it without disturbing the carb. Dexterity and surgeon's tools ?

Certainly explains my high tickover.

20210218_114117.jpg

so its back to front ???

take care with the 2 screws they are supposed to be peened over to stop them dropping into the intake 

so you may need some new screws 

refit the throttle plate loose and nip the screws up with the throttle fully closed this keeps the disc centralised 

and  hopefully no daylight 

pete

Oh dear. I'm not sure you can replace that bolt through the throat because of the rest angle of the plate. It's quite easy if the carb's off the manifold. I think you need to remove the throttle linkage on the outside - at least the bit with the two end-stops - so that you can rotate the throttle past fully open - say to 130 degrees - and then access is easy from the manifold side.

• Jeffds1360 changed the title to Problem solved!!! High tickover ••○

Carb off then, and posts all together now. Thanks whoever.

Good job I had a variety of half inch spanners.

Just waiting for Rimmers screws as I have non that size (meccano?)

Ordered some advance springs so I can refurb the 24D and it makes the postage a bit more bearable !!

20210218_140755.jpg

Well, fancy that... meccano screws fit. So I now it is all back together and I have an adjustable tickover for the first time :)

stupid place to have the adjuster screw. Need strong fingers....none of my spanners fit. Screwdriver needs air intake off.

So....screw nipped up nicely into the brass butterfly but should I fit the 'real' one when it comes?

Dont think the actual screw used matters (as long as the thread was right of course) as long as its never going to come undone! Pete suggests peening, which if possible isnt a bad idea, but my manual doesnt say anything and Ive never done it.

In the end Jeff it looks like the spindle was correct but was the disc wrong? And was the remaining screw tight?

Fed up with waiting for new screws so I put it back together and fired her up. Started after a few cranks BUT petrol peeing out of carb!

I had to remove again and check float chamber needle valve which was fine..??. I did not disconnect either throttle or choke and the carb flipped over ok. Height was right. Blew through inlet and valve worked. Odd! Back together and all well.... apart from missus moaning about petrol smells.... I told her to breath deeply and then chased her with a lighted candle :)

car runs fine now