Alpine or 'le pain'?

SixasStandard

Some Ford`s had a Vaccuum Tank, in my case tucked under the wing, 100E van, which was suposed to act as a reservior, But even then they where pathetic. I think the first Electric wipers apeared on the Anglia 105E and/or the Mk1 Cortina?.

Pete

When we returned to England 63 dad had numerous company cars waiting for his Merc300Se to arrive one of these Co loaners was a new Zephyr 6 the boxy one pre big wings it had vacuum  wipers bl++dy useless I seem to remember the faster you went the slower they got! yes there was a reservoir in the front wing, PUT me off Fords for a  very long time!

Subsequently I must admit the Falcon Fairmont Ghia and Tickford's I had as Co Cars here in Oz were great cars fantastic for long distances and the best seats ever!

My first car was a Goggomobil T300 which had electric wipers mounted on the bottom of the screen the motor drove one spindle and the other was connected by a bar on the outside when it snowed a lot it used to stack up on the screen and the interconnecting ball jointed bar would spring off.

I spent 1/2 hr at 2AM one morning in a bad snow storm on the York Moors coming back from a party at Whitby looking for the interlinking bar that had totally flown off! so even electrics can have built in issues! 

4 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

My first car was a Goggomobil T300 which had electric wipers mounted on the bottom of the screen the motor drove one spindle and the other was connected by a bar on the outside

I remember that on certain cars... the wipers linked by an arm. 

The Goggomobil always reminded me of a Standard 8... same kind of shape.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

I has to have a TS3 as the power plant  !!!

When I visited Australia last year I was lucky enough to attend the 'All British Day' classic vehicle event in the Adelaide Hills, there were two Commer Superpoise commercial trucks there, a red 1949 and a green 1955, the latter of which actually had a working TS3 engine mounted on the rear bed as a demonstrator. The owner started it up for us, and I really wish now that I'd taken a video of it in action. It was only after the show that I realised that I'd forgotten to take a picture of the engine as well.......I think that I was just too impressed by the spectacle to think of anything else!!     

DSC05754.JPG

Latest update on the Alpine (or tarted up Husky.....depending on your viewpoint): 

Latest progress on the Series 3 has been on the engine bay bulkhead and the radiator surround. Have now taken all of the old paint/filler/surface rust/decomposed grommet material off of the bulkhead and rubbed it down ready for etch prime.......no welding required thank God. The radiator mounting panel was a different matter though. The mounting panel and strengthening pressings that are spot welded to the inner face on both sides seem to have a corrosion weak spot at the bottom where various panels come together to create a potential water trap. Water draining down the channels in the wings at the sides of the bonnet opening drains out through holes in the front apron close to the bonnet hinges, dripping down onto the lower valence behind the grille, which is helpfully raked back and down to maximise the radiator opening. There is a small opening here (whether by design or not) between the various panels to allow the water to escape, but this is so small so as to become easily blocked by mud and grime build up. This had happened on my car, causing rampant corrosion that had eaten its way through two full thicknesses of 20 gauge steel. Being close to one of the radiator mounting captive nuts this is not something that I could ignore, or worse still cover up with some bodge fix. Attached are the pictures that explain the rest.

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG