Vitesse misfire

Gadgetman

Yes, no idea what grade. I changed the needles to see if it fixed the problem before playing with spring rates. 

Seems to work but I haven't given it a good run to properly confirm. The AFR meter tells me the mixture is correct. 

Ok so a day of tinkering... 

so the mixture was made 1/4 turn richer but made no difference on a run. After a bit of thinking I put an inductive timing light on the plug leads. It showed up a miss every 10 seconds or so on #1 cylinder, it was obvious when I slaved a plug into the lead and you could see the spark as erratic. . I couldn’t be sure if it did it on other cylinders as well. So condenser replaced- no change, rotor arm replaced no change, plug leads replaced, -  no change, coil replaced - no change , distributor cap changed - no change..... even tried the spark plug incase It was shorted out.... guess what.. no change!

so has anyone any ideas?????

Just had a brain wave this morning...

I wonder if I’m loosing the +ve supply to the coil or the voltage is low, easy check and a dodgy high resistance ignition switch could cause it or bad wiring to/ from the switch. Easy to prove with a wire slaved in from the battery +ve straight to the coil +ve and give it a try!

A fellow club member has had an issue with his Mk2 Jag it wouldn’t start after Tach issues, he finally determined the problem the spring on the points was bowed and touched the baseplate it took him a couple of weeks to sort it after replacing all but points.

Things do come out of left field to bite you!

16 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Lucas or Delco dizzy? Are these black rotor arms with a rivet..... they are ALL rubbish. Get a red one from the Distributor Doctor. You need one even if it’s not the fault!

100% agree, when I took my car to a rolling road the guy said sumfings wrong there's a slight missfire. The rotor arm, which looked fine, was arcing. He replaced with a good red top which sorted the problem. He identified the problem straight away as he is 'old skool'. 

I phoned Distributor Doctor and a complete overhaul and calibration for a 22D6 it's about £195 plus vat. Not cheap but good work never is!

By arrangement you can drop your dizzy off at 9am and collect later that day. 

• 4 weeks later...

I sent the distributor back to Martin at Distributor Doctor and it seems either my coil or condenser was faulty and it caused burning off the points ( more than likely the coil ).

He replaced the condenser and points free of charge and I bought a new flamethrower coil from him.

1 week & 250 miles later it’s still running like a dream !

I sent the distributor on the Monday and it was back by the Wednesday all fixed! can’t ask for better service than that from Martin.