GT6 MK3 rear lights

Gazza

Hiya, I bought replacement bulb holders for my rear lights from Rimmers and they do not come with earth terminals, but my indicators and brakes have earth terminals connected to the loom although the reversing lamps do not. The metal lamp unit is earthed to the body. Any help please?

Yup,

There are two sorts of bulb holder found on our cars, one with an earth connection and one that earths to the body of the car. I prefer the one with a separate connection, the earth to the body ones get loose and you get a dodgy connection. The body earth one will work, because the battery earth goes to the body. If you replace a body earth with a earth connection type you have to run a strap connection to the body of the car. These get replaced one for another over the years, I've seen Triumphs with different bulb connectors on either side! 

Doug

there were some pictures on a previous post recently 

i guess your new ones earth via the claw , so the lamp body will need an earth

as doug says there is a lot of mix and unmatched holders which can cause lots of light problems 

even the offset pins in stop/tail  have been show to be badly placed which can play havoc with the twin filament bulbs 

Pete

Would I be correct in thinking that the fact the tubs can be separated on the Vittesse Herald will make body earthing "suspect" to say the least?. Paint, coatings sealants and mountings are not the best conductors of electricty?

Pete

13 hours ago, PeteH said:

Would I be correct in thinking that the fact the tubs can be separated on the Vittesse Herald will make body earthing "suspect" to say the least?. Paint, coatings sealants and mountings are not the best conductors of electricty?

But far worse is RUST :o Not a good conductor at all!

Doug

spot on Doug  H & V have seperated front rear tubs  + Bonnet   

GT6 & Spitty are one tub + bonnet 

there is a earth in the tail harness but thats pretty suspect and relies on self  tappers  nuts bolts   paint rust corrosion 

think i used mains earth bond wire so butch enough to make an improvement    (thinks !!!!)

Pete

My GT6 has the mix of separate and claw earths for the rear lights. After everything was disassembled for painting last year and then reassembled, I had the joy of chasing a decent earth for the nearside rear lights - ironically, it was the non-claw earth side that was the pain, but a crinkle washer on the earth connection to penetrate the paint (internally) was sufficient to get everything working in harmony again.

Gully