Herald accelerator pedal

Pdv

I am looking to replace the pedal due to damaged / rusty pivot part of the pedal and also perished rubber.

If needs be I can make the metal part but the rubber is a different matter.

I have searched all the usual suppliers to no avail.

Will try Chick Doig for a second hand one.

Has anyone refurbished one, some tips if you have would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Part number 122400 listed as NLA for years but no-one sells the rubber pads either. Chic Doig remakes the pivot mechanism (available from a few other suppliers too).

For the rubber pad you can either cut and fit any kind of rubber sheeting from hardware shops (bound to be a suitable rubber mat to cut strips off) however Austin Healey / Frogeye Sprite cars use almost the same mechanism, and the pad is available for their cars. It looks to be pretty close. I think VW Beetles also use the organ-pedal style arrangement and it looks amazingly close?

Beetle left, Sprite right below:

98-1027-0__60621.1409182032_1280_1280.jpg.b4a8581f3d8d20dc51b6c7385e8cffc2.jpg rp909984set-bugeye-sprite-austin-healey-mg-midget-gas-pedal-pads-3-800x600.jpg.a92677cd15eaf0e287f79f941c938cd2.jpg

Beetle version is about a fiver off eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Classic-T1-Accelerator-Throttle-Rubber-Pedal-Pad-T3-Beetle-Ghia-Camper-Bus/162922870168?fits=Car+Make%3AVW|Model%3ABeetle&hash=item25eef5b598:g:2bwAAOSwNplalovE

Hi

Thanks for the replies.looks like the Beetle rubber is the best option, but will look as said in my local hardware shop for a similar piece of rubber.

Another option is that the perished part is on the top edge and I have some black silicone roofing adhesive.. and I will give that a try first.

Steve

8 minutes ago, Pdv said:

Another option is that the perished part is on the top edge and I have some black silicone roofing adhesive.. and I will give that a try first.

Steve

As long as your foot doesn't get stuck to it 😆

Have you considered swapping the organ pedal for a Suspended one?. I believe some Spit/GT6 types can be adapted?. When I pulled the carpets out of my 13/60, the bolted attachement was completly rotted away and the floor. I guess it`s a water trap?.

Pete

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that tip, having got this far I think I will try to get a good secondhand one from someone like Chic Doig.

I have two 13/60s one was damaged by someone with a towbar backing into the rear of the car damaging the rear valance and spare wheel well.

Well to cut a long story short I ended up reducing it to its component parts to restore.

It was good that I did as only one of the outriggers was welded on top , it now has all new outriggers and uprated siderails.

It has a good bulkhead (a saloon one bought from Bill Davis, Rarebits) and I have fitted new floorpans and a new pedal fitting.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Those aftermarket one`s, have the ribbing, which (allegedly) mitigates against slippage. Reminds me of the mod`s we did back in the 60`s in order to make "heel and toe" driving in forest stages faster without fouling either brake or accelerator pedals, with several judiciously placed rows of weld run?.

Pete