Gt6 steering column bushes

Just tried to fit some uprated steering column bushes - play in column.  Way too tight.  Usual crap.  Ended up bending column.  Just posted to warn others not to make the same mistake! Seems another case of dodgy parts that don’t fit - even when you pay extra for the “‘uprated” version.  

Bob

Edited by Bob Horner
Spelling

I've used both types of column bush, standard and uprated.

Have to say I found the standard bushes very poor but the uprated ones were a good fit. All obtained from one of the largest Triumph parts suppliers.

Nigel

PS: I should add that the main problem I found with standard bushes was they were too tight on the inner column.

Edited by Nigel Clark
Additional info added

Mine weren’t from the biggest supplier but one of the ones I’ve found generally to be pretty reliable and good value.  Only had a couple of issues previously.  They had an inner nylon core and an outer rubber sleeve.  If I had my time again I would have separated them inserted the outer and then chamfered one end of the nylon core and tapped it home.  Unfortunately I got carried away with pushing it home before I realised what I had done to the outer column.  Live and learn.  Done loads of suspension bushes with no issues but this defeated me!  

Bob

• 2 months later...

Took Bob’s hindsight advice on this one because as soon as I looked at my new updated bush I could see it wasn’t going to fit without spoiling it or wrecking the column outer. I separated the outer rubber by repeatedly dipping in boiling water then prizing it off - easier than I imagined when warmed. Then took most of one flange off the plastic inner by sawing through each side with a mini hacksaw, to leave just 2 tabs of flange about 1cm wide, then filed these at 45 degrees to a point. (forgot to photograph it before inserting). Put the rubber in first, easy, then the inner after wetting it. Smart eh. Well not so smart. At the instant it went home for ever with a satisfying click, I realised I should have put the inner column in first from the top as I hadn’t intended to remove the bottom bush which was still ok. Sorted now. Another useful tip for others in future if you damage or destroy the rubber tabs on the outer bush while fitting it - especially with the standard ones, I find that getting the bush lined up correctly then pouring some liquid fibreglass resin to fill the hole in the metal outer tube works. Do one hole at a time with it held horizontal until set. If worried that the bush is so loose that resin might flood through to the insides, just do a couple of drops to seal the cracks, let it set, then fill the hole with some more. Seems to last well.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted the uprated ones to 3 Triumphs (TR250, TR6 and my own Spitfire) in the last 2 to 3 years.

All seem well, hard to fit (for sure the first time).

And yes the colomn gets very stiff,  but goes away after a few 100 kms/miles of driving.