Tow bar fitting and pitfalls

Phil21

About to fit an old (original?) tow bar to my convertible Mk2 Vitesse and wonder if anyone has any diagrams/instructions? It the one that seems to bolt to the rear chassis. Does it need any strengthening anywhere? What are the potential issues. I plan to tow our old 1970s folding camper - so figuring it shouldn't be too much of a load. Any advice would be great.

Which tow bar have you got ? Mine is a Watling 

65F0CE97-683F-4CFC-BED3-1C6243C4DB14.thumb.jpeg.7291dacafb747f2fe84a84b572e6e6a2.jpeg

Here’s a link to a tow bar thread plus fitting instructions for the Watling . The other type is a witter  tow bar which will require the rear bumper to be drilled to accept the towing hitch . The more popular is the Watling as no bumper modification is required and is still in production and available from the Club Shop 

Paul 

• Like 1

Hi both,

I, too, have the Watling one on my Vitesse.

Originally I had the the Witter one but I prefer the design of the Watling.

Fitting was quite straightforward but I do recall having to make up a steel plate for the part that bolts through the spare wheel well.  Other than that, it's been great. 

B6994D51-0035-4B54-BDA9-770B28EB764B.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c6e036c05b4eb4eec7f999fec17fff63.jpeg

Thats how mine fit`s?. Modified, so that the tow ball can be removed, when not needed. and used as the support for the Rotator during the Outrigger rebuild. With the Rear Tub on there is a Bolt through a plate and a stiffener in the boot. but I am not 100% sure it is required.

P.s. Back in the 80`s we towed a Baily 10ft Caravan with a Vittese, similar tow Bar.

Pete

An interesting side story re Witter towbars, probably over 15 years ago a young English lad joined my then local Triumph car club here in Vic Aus, the TCCV he had a 2lt Mk2 Vitesse convertible with Wittter towbar, he had inherited the car from his grandad the founder of Witter Towbars, who had taught him to drive in that car, on immigrating to Aus he brought the car with him, from memory it was a sound car but not concour, it was fitted with overdrive and I think maroon/plum paintwork.

Unfortunately he returned to the UK with the intent of returning the car too, but the last I heard the car was in storage in Gippsland, I hope it did return and is still in the family.