Vitesse quarterlight

Robin

I’ve just replaced the rubber seal on the passenger quarterlight but I had to drill out the brass  rivet that holds the the glass in place to do so. Is it best to try a re-rivet this or use a small nut and bolt? Can you get brass rivets?

You can use closed-end rivets, they sell them for Landrovers. I've found they're not bad - probably my rivetting skills could be better - but a small domed bolt / screw with equally small nut does the job as well.

As you can see from the photo I did more damage drilling the original out and tidying up the holes than from the rivetting... original left vs replacement right - but the rivet does sit out further below more than the original did.

DSCF8459.jpg.cd9cc28ce9668d76017b42caf99d2bb7.jpg  DSCF9287.jpg.29a65f7bda8fd85244ec3b66ed6baada.jpg

• Like 1

I have a variety of old (New Stock) rivets from my days working for Hawkers (Blackburn Aircraft, yes that long ago!). They are Aircraft alloy and may suit?. What is the dia?. Also can you still get the Rivets used for Fastening Brake Linings to Brake Shoes, They where copper with open end?. On a similar Thread, have you considered a "pop" Rivet.? Remove the stem even and Rivet that?.

Pete