MOT exemption. I'm glad I didn't.

chrishawley

I imagine this has been well discussed previously. But here goes:

While pondering whether to declare the Spitfire 1500 MOT exempt the MOT fell due. So I had it done. During the process of testing one rear brake showed inadequate braking and then a further push of the pedal locked the brake full on. Having got the car home the problems were self-evident; seized wheel cylinder and incorrectly fitted shoes. Duly fixed.

The MOT was definitely worth it.

• Like 6

Maintain your care properly and regularly and the MOT is not relevant. I'd rather give mine a once over several times a year than wait for the MOT to come around.

Not that I'm adverse to the MOT as another check, just not the only one! 

its the only way you know your rear brakes /any brakes are in balance and performing well 

i take care that my car drives and works as well as when it was a lot newer but still get an  MOT to back up it does what it says on the tin and should i ever sell it it gives some assurance its not pig in a poke 

pete

8 minutes ago, avivalasvegas said:

An attentive owner + caring mechanic + MOT tester = The best Classic car insurance policy. 

That's how I found a badly chafed brake hose on my GT6 yesterday; the rear spring is for some reason allowing the halfshaft to rub on the stainless hose and has rubbed quite a bit into it. First run of the year is on the 22nd.

Now I have to replace the rear spring and brake hose, possibly rear shocks too, so have spent all day trying to drill out two studs that seem to have welded themselves to the diff casing. (trying to put off removing the entire diff but not succeeding so far) I just don't get how some of the most badly neglected cars in the area go on forever. Never checked, basic maintenance, and never break down. 

On 12/05/2021 at 23:17, SpitFire6 said:

I have been through at least 2 MOT's with seized passenger side slave. 

At least 4 MOT stations never picked up that my nearside rear slave cylinder was seized. Having a Quaife ATB is the cause of the

passes.