Gaskets.

Paul Salter

Hi,

This is my first time on anything like this. 

I've just picked up my Spitfire MkIV engine block and crankshaft up from being rebored and reground, the guys who did the machining have told me to get the pistons etc from Rimmer Bros but to avoid getting the gaskets from them. Does anyone know where to buy the best quality gaskets from please?

Cheers

Paul Salter.

if you dont fancy rimmer bros  try Canley Classics  

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=catalogues

in the end pretty much all suppliers use the same suppliers for parts  just the pricing varies as they oftenall buy from each other 

a goos quality sealer is probably better 

im a fan of loctite 574 but its pricey 

Pete

42 minutes ago, Paul Salter said:

Does anyone know where to buy the best quality gaskets from please?

Hi Paul! As Pete says price doesn't indicate quality; most suppliers get theirs from exactly the same place. Best option is to go with a good supplier who you can at least talk to, Canleys are good and I'm very fond of James Paddock at present - some of the engine gaskets can be a woeful fit and may tear when being applied. I fitted an engine oil seal recently, had to remove it when I dropped a part down behind it, and on removal found that the gasket had come apart in behind as the screws were tightened. I fitted a spare which was totally different and the holes at least lined up, so don't settle for poor quality. 

we did lots of tests on production units and this stuff  ( loctite 574) was way better than all the others this was back in the 80s  it was still used when the factry closed in 93

i have used it on all face to face joints but my last cartridge (that stock came with me when i retired) ran out and i found some on e bay at a fair price but 

the cartridges / blasted gun i aquired !!!!   were over £70   yikes bit a little goes a long way and its a solid stickonce air is expelled 

there are little bottles for pocket money  ,  i just wont give it away as quick now ha 

Pete

I would also recommend Canley Classics for gaskets, indeed for any Triumph parts you need.

I covered a professional rebuild of a Spitfire engine for Practical Classics magazine last year. The pro engine builder used Treebond 1215 as gasket jointing compound, because "he doesn't want leaks causing warranty claims".

Nigel

There has been a bit of talk on various Triumph Facebook pages about the latest Payen head gaskets, and how the quality has dropped since Payen were bought by Federal Mogul. 

No experience of gasket failure with Payen myself, and I normally avoid blindly quoting what I have read elsewhere on the internet without evidence to back it up, but several people have reported HG failures so maybe worth a quick google before you buy. 

2 hours ago, Peaks said:

Payen head gaskets, and how the quality has dropped since Payen were bought by Federal Mogul. 

I was told of problems with the Payen 6 cylinder head gasket for recessed blocks by non-other than Chris Witor, so I reckon that would be true. Not sure about the 4 pots but there do seem to have been a few people with problems recently.

Nick

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I was told of problems with the Payen 6 cylinder head gasket for recessed blocks by non-other than Chris Witor, so I reckon that would be true. Not sure about the 4 pots but there do seem to have been a few people with problems recently.

Nick

Chris Witor implied the same to me regarding 6 pot head gaskets, so I bought what he recommended for my GT6.

Canley supply a non Payen head gasket for the 4 pot engines, and I trust Dave Pearson to sell parts that work

Nigel