paint colour.

dave49

does anyone know how i can find out what colour my herald 13/60 is? its supposed to be wedgewood blue but looked lighter to me.I bought some wedgewood blue from the club shop but its definately darker so I think its been resprayed at some point.thanks to anyone who can help.

They do fade, sometimes badly. I had mine re-sprayed when it was around 20 years old I asked for the original colour, Mimosa. The garage phoned and said "You've told us the wrong colour, please come and confirm what you want".  I went and had a look, it was the right colour, but in 20 years the existing paint had faded from vibrant Mimosa to dull post-it-note and the garage wouldn't believe Mimosa was the right colour.

Your best bet is the paint spectrometer as BW says, but it may continue to fade with new paint and old paint at different rates.

Doug

You could try polishing compound in an inconspicuous area to see if the colour changes. That might give an idea as to whether it is fade or respray. Also look at the door edges,inside boot lid, bonnet etc to see if there are any clues to original paint colour, respray and so on. There is usually a 'tell' somewhere if a car has been resprayed unless it was a full trim off, screen out back to metal job.

Edit

Lindsay beat me to it...again!!!