Spitfire Fuel Tank Back Board Issue

JonLow

Anybody replaced their boot back board that covers the fuel tank with a remanufactured item? I purchased a new unit from the biggest parts supplier, (no names!). The new unit was not made from hardboard, as per original unit, but from thinner compressed paper material, similar that may be used in shoe boxes. I duly fitted the back board last October. 

The car is near full restoration completion and stored in a new, insulated double garage. However, upon opening the boot in April this year I was dismayed to find the back board is warped and has mould or spores spots on it.  Rather odd as no moisture of any sort seen anywhere on the car or in the garage, nicely dry.

I did buy a new light unit to go in the board, but unsurprisingly, the light unit did not fit the board cut-out hole. The light unit was so poor quality I could only use the contacts from the new unit in the original light unit and cut the board to allow fitment. Having spent thousands and thousands of pounds on spare parts and found maybe 25% of them I could not, or would not use, my question is, can anyone recommend a more substantial, or satisfactory replacement back board from any supplier please? Thanks.

IMG_1887.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

There is a similar (worse?) problem with GT6 rear load area flooring, which appears to be made of compressed cardboard and sags alarmingly. I bought plywood from B and Q and used the old flooring as a template to make a replacement. I painted the top mat black. Anti mould paints are available, but mostly white, although Ronseal do have anti mould Clear Coat which would look OK over the top of black?

Doug 

The problem with any type of cardboard, rag board, hardboard is the general absorption of moisture from the atmosphere and then being stored in a stagnant area such as a boot. I would follow Doug's lead and make one from 3mm or similar ply and then varnish both sides along with the edge, to seal. Then finish with vinyl sheet, fabric, carpet or paint.

• Like 1

If you do make your own, reinforce it with strips of metal, right-angled if they'll fit the available space, otherwise just flat strip. I remade the GT6 versions a few years back and the one over the spare wheel sagged badly in the middle once I put luggage in the rear cargo area, so reinforced it with metal strips and it's stayed put ever since. It was the thickest ply that would fit the clips round the edges and still fit / look right.

I seal the edges of the mill board, Masonite and thin ply with superglue get packs of 6 / 15ml tubes for $2 from the $2 shop. Time consuming and do get some runs down the face which I quickly wipe off but stops the edge from getting damaged

• 1 month later...

I had a poor card and decided to trace the outline onto a sheet of thin ply and cut it out. The sheet needs a bit of flex to it so  used hardboard. A rattle can of mat black on both sides and edges,  I was pleased with the  results. The light fitting is a dismal excuse and I’m thinking of re-engineering to accept a better led solution. 

• Like 1